Cowardice

ADRIEN

They wouldn't leave.

I thought that I could outrun them. I thought that they could lose sight of my tracks.

But they are too fast, and I am losing time.

I shove anything that is blocking my path away. The adrenaline coursing through my veins aids me with enough energy to still keep on running. My hands are trembling now, beads of cold sweat forming on my forehead.

I know that I am going to get caught, but I don't want that to happen. It...it can't happen!

I lost my gun moments ago when the whole commotion started. Now I am unarmed and vulnerable. If, no, when they catch me they can kill me on the spot.

I want them to leave me.

Even if they are still following me, I hide my tracks with the most I could do given the very little amount of time.

I could hide...I could hide somewhere to buy me time. Panting heavily, I look around to find any spot whether it's small or wide for me to hide for even just a minute. A space where I can breathe first and collect my thoughts.

I run behind an abandoned building amd find scraps of metal and crates scattered all over. I start to gather them to create a small space of solitude. In haste, I surround them around me, leaving a few scrap behind to not leave any suspicions the people following me would have.

I crouch down and clasp my ears with my hands. I force close my eyes and control my breathing. In this dark space, I repeat a mantra in the barest of whispers instead of saying it in my head. Words in my head are not helping me anymore. If I don't hear myself proclaiming it...the anxiety of it all will slowly yet surely eat me up.

"They will leave me alone..." I murmur, my voice still laced with uncertainty and doubt.

"Leave me alone, please," I continue, begging quietly. "Leave me alone."

I let out a small gasp when I hear their footsteps heading ever-so slowly to where I am hiding.

This is it. I am going to die. I hold my head in my hands tighter than ever before, repeating the words.

"Leave me...leave me."

They are nearing me. The sound of the boots hitting the ground softly reverberate as loud thumps in my ears.

"Leave me," I cry, "Leave me!"

"Leave me!" I shout out loud and sit up, thrashing my arms around when I feel someone try to hold me down. "L-Let go!"

"Adrien!" The female voice says out loud and a feel hands reaching out to grab my head. The person brings me close to her and I come face-to-face with Marinette who is peering at me with a worried expression on her face. "You're not there...it's not real. I'm here. I'm here," She whispers.

"No, no! They were there! They are coming to get me!" I pant, darting my eyes in different directions to see if those people who were following me are around here somewhere. "They are coming here," I finish in a whisper but I find myself in Marinette's quarters.

It...It was all just a nightmare.

"I'm the only one here," Marinette whispers slowly, "It's just me, Adrien." She grabs a blanket from beside her and shows it to me. "You were sleeping right beside me this whole time."

I slowly get the blanket from her and run my thumb on the fabric. I push myself away from her and sit on the side of the bed. I prop my elbows on my lap and bury my head in my hands. I heave out ragged breaths when I feel a hand rest on my shoulder.