Remnants

MARINETTE

What? Was she a rebel who overheard my name back at the inn?

But how could she know the family name?

"Excuse me?" Adrien seethes at the woman in front of us. I grip tightly onto his arm and he takes a moment to look at me then back to the woman in front. "I think you've mistaken her for someone else."

"No...no..." The woman boldly takes some steps forward. "I-I know a Cheng when I see one. Please, just let me-" she suddenly reaches out to touch me but Adrien moves faster to place his self in between us.

"Felix," I utter in concern. If Adrien keeps on moving, all the more he is going to run out of energy.

"We don't want to hurt you," Adrien continues although he has started to wheeze since he is running out of breath, "so you might as well leave us alone-"

"Sabine Cheng," the woman says with much conviction, "You're Sabine Cheng, but that can't be...she's dea-"

"Ma'am, I've warned you before and now I think you need to go away," Adrien cuts her off, gritting his teeth and turns his hands into fists out of anger.

"Felix, stop," I hold Adrien's hand and he looks at me. He softens his fist to hold my hand as well. I choose to take a step forward.

"What are you doing?" He immediately asks.

"Felix, it's okay..." I whisper then turn back to face the woman. "I know who Sabine Cheng is," I start, "and I won't tell you anything more unless you take my husband and I to a safe place."

"You have my word." The woman agrees with my offer.

"N-No," Adrien immediately speaks up, "don't do it for me-"

"I'm not going to stand here helpless when I know that I can save you. I need a safer place to treat you...or else you could lose your leg or worse, die."

He looks at me with glassy eyes then sighs, dejected. "Then hurry...please."

Just as I was about to continue we all hear a loud bang and debris falling to the ground from the other side. I feel Adrien grip tightly onto my arm. The three of us could hear their voices again.

"They're back," the woman states breathlessly before taking off her own hood and placing it on my head. "This time, cover your hair. Can your husband still walk fast?"

"W-Wait, where are you taking us?" I ask as I place Adrien's arm over my shoulders and wrap my right arm around his waist.

"Because technically," the woman grabs our bag and slings it across her shoulders, "you're trespassing my abode. Now, hurry and follow me!" She starts right ahead to another post stationed at the corner of the building. With Adrien by my side, we follow her though we could not match her pace.

Adrien grunts with each step he takes and my worry doubles as the blood leaks through the cloth tied around his leg. "We're almost there," I whisper to him, "Just hold on for a little longer...please."

I could see a sign that has gathered dust and mold throughout the years placed on top of a door frame we go through.

Fire Exit

"Don't tell me we're going out of the building," I utter.

"No, in fact, we're going under," the woman tells me whilst pushing a slab of concrete to the side which revealed an open hole leading more to what is underground. She jumps down first and raises her hands to help us. "Let your husband go down first," she instructs me and I falter for a bit.