Chapter Two

^Clara Delaunay

Clara found herself snuggled into the corner of her seat and the window reading a muggle book her papa gave her before she left earlier today. It was in English, at first causing Clara some difficulties while reading, however after several hours Clara was reading a little more smoothly.

Rain pelted harshly against the window and Clara looked up at the boy that still sat silently across from her. His face no longer hid behind his book, as Percy had set the book in his lap for the time being, giving Clara a chance to study his freckled face.

Percy and her shared a few words every now and then, though it was proved to be an awkward train ride with the shy boy. He always got so red in the face whenever they talked, leaving Clara to feel as if she made him uncomfortable. Clara refrained from talking to him because of it, just focusing on her novel instead and talking only when Percy addressed her.

Looking away from the focused boy and back to her book, Clara went to flip her page to continue reading when the train came to a slow pace, getting slower and slower. Percy sat up, stretching his arm and back before he glanced at his watch, frowning.

"What is it, Percy?" Clara asked, sitting straight in her seat from leaning against the cool window. The rain was thickening outside, pounding against the window so much so that the two couldn't see anything but a blur of grey.

"We can't be there yet." The boy informed her, setting his book down beside him and getting up and swinging the compartment door open and poking his head out. "I swear, if this is one of Fred and George's pranks, they've gone way too far--"

The train came to a sudden halt, Percy nearly stumbling backwards as his large trunk flew off of the rack above, striking Clara hard in the knees and bringing her to the floor as Hermes' cadge flew just above her head. Letting out a howl in pain, Clara rolled from underneath Percy's trunk as he readjusted the trunk and helped the girl to her feet.

Clara clung to the boy as all the lamps went out in the train, leaving the whole train in utter darkness. Her heart pounded in her chest and she gripped the front of Percy's robes.

"Is this meant to happen?" Clara asked, and Percy shook his head.

"I should go find out what's happened." Percy said. "The other Head Students ought to know." Percy went to pull away from Clara but she wasn't having any of that.

Pulling Percy down on the bench beside her, she kept the boy from venturing into the darkness alone. "Non. Don't dare leave me." She was holding onto Percy's arm, sitting very close to him. The boy grabbed his wand, illuminating the compartment.

"Clara." Percy said in an annoyed voice. "It's probably nothing, we've just broken down, that's all. I'm sure we'll be up and running soon."

"Then there is non necessary for you to leave, yeah?" Percy sighed, prying Clara's hands off of his arm and getting up from his seat. Despite Clara's protests, the boy pulled open the compartment door and took a step out.

His body stiffened as the air grew cold. It seemed that along with the cool air, a chilling feeling seeped into Clara's insides and she shivered internally.

"Percy?" She squeaked out, wrapping her arms around herself. He didn't respond. "Percy?" Clara said a little louder, her bottom lip trembling. She pulled her sore knees against her chest and buried her face in between them. Her body began to shake, Clara feeling as if she were left alone in the darkness of the compartment.

She felt alone and scared, as if every ounce of confidence and happiness were torn from her grasp. Leaving her bare and vulnerable.

"C'mere." Clara heard Percy's voice, shaky and small. He doused the light and sat beside the girl. "I've got you, don't worry I won't leave you here alone." Percy whispered, hesitantly wrapping his arm around the shaking girl.