Chapter Fifty-Nine

Clara was sitting on her bed, her long hair falling in a tumble of curls around her round face as she stared down at her untied shoes. Charms was her first exam, and as much as Clara stressed over the class in the days leading up to her exam, she no longer felt anxious come exam day. Instead, the thundering of her heart and the breathlessness in her chest was caused by the fact Clara was going to be facing Percy Weasley.

Erika came tumbling into the room, her school uniform wrinkly and skirt put on backwards. "What are you waiting for?" She squealed, fumbling with her skirt. She looked over at Clara with wide eyes. "Both our exams start in ten minutes, we can't be late. Trelawney's room is basically on the other side of the castle, so I don't have time to wait around for you. Niki and Michelle have left already, for Merlin's sake...move."

With a heavy sigh, Clara looked up at a frantic Erika. "Just...go. I'll be fine." Erika rested her hands on her hips and pursed her lips as she stared down at Clara.

"It'll be okay." Her friend assure her. "Percy and you will both be busy with your exams you'll barely notice each other." Clara nodded slowly. "I have to go, but you hurry. Charms class isn't far from here but it's always better to show up earlier."

Erika shuffled out of the room after grabbing her sweater and Clara was left alone. Slowly, she slid off her bed and made her way towards her dorm room door. Percy, she thought.

She reached for the silver chain around her neck and pulled the hidden ring out from behind her sweater. She felt her heartbeat slow to a comfortable beat as she pressed her lips against the ring.

Percy's book bag swung against his leg as he sped walked towards his charms classroom. He puffed his cheeks out as he attempted to regulate his breathing while he searched for an empty seat. Percy just barely had time to have a shower and eat this morning because he had slept in for the first time in his life. Oliver, who didn't have his exam until later today had woken up Percy a little bit too late.

But thank Merlin Oliver did wake him up.

Percy plopped down in his seat, his chest heaving as he shoved his book bag under his desk. For the first time since he arrived, the boy took a look at his surroundings, his heart only beating even faster when he spotted the chestnut hair that belonged to Clara.

She was leaning back in her seat that was just two rows ahead of Percy, her hands shoved in her pockets, and head tilted back. If Percy didn't know any better, it looked like the girl was fast asleep at her desk.

The Professor began to talk, the usual lecture on rules during the exam, but Percy could hardly listen to anything he said. His eyes were glued onto the back of Clara's head, her curly brown hair like a peaceful waterfall down her back. As the papers were handed out for the written part of the exam, Percy reached for the chain around his neck and with a gentle touch of his lips, he kissed the silver ring.

To his surprise, the girl jumped and sat upright, just in time for an exam paper to land lightly on her desk. Percy watched as she turned her head slightly, scanning the room with her beautiful eyes before she pulled out her own silver chain.

Percy could hardly breathe as he spotted the small silver ring dangling from Clara's delicate hands. She wrapped her small fingers around the ring and leaned over her desk. She still has it, Percy thought as he stared down at his own ring. She still wears it...

Percy shook his head. He needed to focus. He couldn't keep thinking about this girl, or else he'd fail his exam. With a frown, Percy pushed all thoughts about Clara out of his mind. He made a promise to himself that he'd forget about his feelings for this girl and focus just on his schooling, because that's what really mattered. Besides, it was too good to be true, he couldn't believe Clara loved him still...he couldn't believe a lie.