Chapter Twenty-Two

Mamihlapinatapei, Percy thought, is a wordless, yet meaningful look shared by two people who both desire to initiate something but are both reluctant to start.

As he looked across the pathetic attempt at a midnight Christmas dinner for Clara, meeting eyes with the stunning woman, Percy was almost certain she felt the same way he did.

She smiled at Percy, tucking a lock of her hair behind her ear before her gaze fell to the floor the five of them still sat on.

Percy couldn't understand how he could sit across from Clara and not be madly in love with everything she did. From the way she smiled when she spoke to the way she fiddled with her hands in her lap. She was beautiful, and Percy was caught in an awestruck wonder.

"So you're still set on not paying us a visit over the holidays?" Fred asked Clara. Percy groaned internally at the question, leaning back on his hands as they awaited the girl's answer.

If Percy was completely honest with himself, he didn't want Clara in his home.

Not because Percy didn't think his family wouldn't like her, but because Percy thought his family would love her a little too much. Percy knew Clara was an outstanding woman, there was no doubt about that. But what scared Percy was that Clara would like his family better than him.

It was decided long ago that Percy was the boring brother. He wasn't daring like Bill or Charlie, seeking out dangerous jobs. He wasn't funny like Fred and George, entertaining like Ron. Not everyone liked Percy like they did Ginny, the sweet little girl who could do no wrong. Percy was plain...Percy was boring. 

He feared Clara would realize that and drop him like a boiling glass of Pumpkin juice. Percy didn't want to loose Clara. Their relationship was still strained because of what had happened between Penny and him, but Percy still didn't want to loose the woman as a friend.

Percy treasured Clara Delaunay.

"I...do not know. I am very excited to go home. I miss my ma and pa so much." Clara said, biting her bottom lip as she avoided eye contact with Fred.

"Not even for a day? A couple hours? Just for dinner?" Fred pressed, and Percy noticed Clara's body tense under the awkward pressure his little brother was putting her under.

Clara wasn't comfortable, and Percy needed to change that.

Sitting up straight again, Percy cleared his throat and reached for his wand to clean up the mess they had made. "I think it's about time we started to pack things up, yeah? It must be nearly one in the morning now." Percy said, and Fred and George groaned.

"Perce we haven't been here long. Just a little while longer? No one has even noticed us yet." George argued.

"Yet." Percy repeated. "I'd like to keep it that way. Now get your arse moving. You know Filtch will be on the look out."

"Don't worry Perce. We've got this covered. Filtch won't even know we were in the corridors." Fred said proudly. 

"Merci for everything." Clara said as everyone got to their feet. Percy watched as Clara wrapped Fred and George in a hug and then pulled Michelle into her embrace as well. Not wanting to make things awkward, Percy moved towards the exit of the common room.

Percy watched as George reached for Michelle's hand, giving it a tight squeeze before following his twin. He was just about to leave when his hand was grabbed gently. He looked back to see Clara, and his heart leaped in his chest.

"Merci, Percy. It means a lot that you came here tonight." She said, and before Percy could reply she pulled him into a tight embrace.

"Y-you're welcome." Percy stuttered as he rested his chin in her shoulder and breathed in her coconut scent. Percy missed being within proximity of Clara, it made him feel whole, gave him so many more reason why he couldn't live without her.