Chapter Thirty-Eight

The Quidditch game came and went, and Percy still found himself snuggled into the corner of one the window seats, a muggle poetry book propped open in his lap, not knowing whether or not his team won or lost. He was somewhat disappointed because Clara usually hunted him down before the game and dragged him to the pitch to support his house, but today wasn't the case. He went nearly all Saturday without seeing his girlfriend. Not even at breakfast or any of the other meal times.

He had took to the corridors, wondering in hopes of running into either Clara or her friends, but after nearly two hours he had given up and instead decided to read. He picked Clara's favourite window seat, hoping maybe she came around, but hours had passed, the sun sinking behind the hills, and still no sign of Clara.

Percy usually looked forward to the weekends, because that meant he could get more studying done, but now he began to dislike them because it was rare he saw Clara. At least during the weekdays, he had four classes with her, even if her constant fidgeting bugged Percy to no end.

When Percy realized he had read the same sentence over four times, he decided he had enough and closed the book. Before he could hop down from the window seat and make his way to the Gryffindor common room, someone blocked his way, taking their seat next to him.

"Hi, Percy." Said a sweet voice.

"Oh...Hello, Penelope." Responded Percy, leaning back against the stone wall. Penny smiled, her eyes sparkling from the setting sun shining through the window pane. "Can I...help you?" He asked when Penny said nothing further. Her smile widened.

"I just thought I'd come say hi. I didn't see you at the game." She observed. Percy gave her a look, setting his poetry book upside-down in his lap.

"Does that surprise you?" He asked. Penny's smile wavered.

"W-Well...no, I suppose not. But you should know, Gryffindor won the Cup. Oliver was overjoyed, so much so I think I saw him crying into his potatoes at dinner. Emotional little thing, he is."

"That's...lovely." Percy muttered, turning his head to look out the window. There was an awkward silence, one of which Percy didn't care to interrupt.

"How are your studies going?" Penny asked in an attempt at keeping the conversation going. Percy shrugged, still looking out the window.

"The same, really. I'm excelling in every one of my classes." Was all he said, and the two fell into another awkward silence, Penny fidgeting with her hands in her lap.

"I saw Clara with Fred and George earlier." Penny blurted, and Percy finally looked her way.

"Where?" He asked in hopes of maybe finding his apparently missing girlfriend.

"On the Quidditch field. Fred and her were playing around after the game. You know, I'm pretty sure Fred has a thing for Clara, and by the looks of it, Clara quite enjoys his company." Penny said, smirking. Percy felt his heart jolt in his chest, a horrible feeling surging through his body.

"What do you mean by that?" He snapped. Penny only eyed him, the same sly smirk playing at her lips.

"I just mean that Clara seems to be the kind of person who needs to be entertained. While I find you very amusing-not to mention handsomely charming-Clara seems to take to your little brothers for her fix of entertainment." Penny said, letting her sentence sink into Percy like a poisonous venom.

"I don't believe you." Percy said, narrowing his eyes at the blonde girl. Penny shrugged, apparently not concerned.

"Believe what you want Perce, I'm just relaying information. Have you seen Clara yet today?" She asked, and Percy's saddened expression answered her question. "Well there you have it, she's off with the twins. Probably got herself a detention but that's all part of the fun, right? In my opinion, I don't find trouble fun, but I can't say the same for your girlfriend."

Percy was quiet for a moment, the colour drained from his face. He hated the thought of his ridiculous brother stealing away his girlfriend. It wasn't possible...but was it? Fred was always the entertainer, he and George seem to have an endless supply of hilarious jokes and comebacks. Sure, Percy didn't always agree with the things those two did, but a lot of people did, and they were well known because of them. Percy could make Clara laugh, but he's seen her with Bill and his other brothers, they make her laugh in a way Percy never could.

"What do I do?" Asked Percy, startling Penny. She looked up at him with her round eyes, obviously confused. "What do I do to keep her entertained? How can I be less boring?"

"Oh Percy," She whispered, resting her soft hand against his cheek. "I don't find you boring in the slightest bit. You are perfect just the way you are and if Clara won't accept that then maybe it's time you let her go." Percy's eyes fell from her gaze, his chest tightening at the thought of losing Clara.

"But I don't want to let her go." He whispered. Penny sighed, pulling him into a hug that he did not refuse.

"I know it's hard, Perce. But sometimes it's just not meant to be." She rubbed his back soothingly. "I'll always be here for you, though, through thick and thin, you'll never loose me."

"Thank you...Penny."

*

Percy had spent all of Saturday evening in the Gryffindor common room, and come Sunday morning through afternoon, he still hadn't seen Clara. Usually, she was at breakfast with her roommates, sometimes she slept in, but still Percy didn't recognize any of her mates at the Hufflepuff table.

Percy had given up on his search, he figured she must have been with Fred and George somewhere, and there was no guessing where those two would end up. Sunday came and went and Percy buried himself in his work, not wanting to concentrate on anything but studying for exams that were upon the students.

He had spotted Ron, seated by himself in the corner of the common room reading A Study of Hippogriff Brutality, but he didn't bother getting up and making conversation. It was rare that he ever saw Ron so focused on a book and he didn't want to be the one to spoil that, but it wasn't long until he was taken away by his two friends and Percy was left alone in the common room.

It seemed that almost as soon as Percy buried himself in his warm blankets that the sun was up and his roommates were getting ready for their first class. Percy had no motivation to make it to breakfast on time, knowing Clara wasn't going to be there. However, he made sure to make it to Charms class bright and early, waiting patiently for his girlfriend.

As the class was filled with sleepy seventh years, Percy lost hope in seeing Clara as her spot was the only one not filled yet. However, when a slender girl with very short pink hair stumbled into the classroom, Percy's jaw dropped when he recognized the stunning silver eyes that belonged to Clara. Heat rushed to his face as he judged her hair that was now as short as his.

He couldn't believe what she had done with it.