Chapter 1: Dissonance (Part 1)

Setsuna Fuyutsuki grabbed a tray from the beginning of the servery line.

"Mystery Meat again tonight..."

The substance she called "Mystery Meat" maintained the cylindrical shape of the can it came from. The unknown meat was covered in an off putting, brownish slime and smelled like rotten meat. As one would expect, the unidentifiable taste was just as bad.

"C'mon Setsuna, it isn't that bad!"

Setsuna looked at the girl next to her. She was very beautiful: long blonde hair, green eyes, an angelic smile, and a perfect hourglass figure. Her warm personality served as a stark contrast to Setsuna's.

"Yes it is, Yelena. It is that bad." Setsuna responded, picking up the hunk of meat and letting it drip.

"Yeah... you're right."

Setsuna and Yelena went down the line to get the rest of their meal: a small potato, a half slice of rye bread, and a glass of fresh water. The two girls then went to sit down for dinner with their teammates, who were in the middle of a heated argument.

"The Bourgeoisie can't be trusted!" yelled a young brown haired man. "You all promised change after the revolution, only to take the reigns of government for yourselves!"

A blonde headed man replied. "How ignorant are you!? La République is a land of the people; we all serve her and we all reap her fruits!"

Yelena looked ready to jump in when Setsuna stopped her. "You don't need to play mediator for them." They continued towards the table.

"You think you can deceive the people!?" the brown haired man asked. "Although the conscription laws force everyone to enlist, the wealthy never see danger! The Prolètariat never move up in the military or in society; we still live as poorly as we did under the crown!"

The blonde man laughed. "Please! If upward mobility weren't possible, how do you think that a low-born man like you could make it into the SDU?"

The SDU, or Sinclair Defense Unit, was supposedly an elite force sent by the government to protect Sinclair Monastère; in reality, the unit didn't do much of anything. The government of the newly formed People's Republic of Bellerose maintained a minimal amount of security at the old monastery to maintain the favor of the church. In addition to the two members sent from the church, the team consisted of six individuals from different socioeconomic backgrounds for the illusion of an inclusive government. Setsuna couldn't stop her jaded thoughts. Its so obvious, why do they even try?

Setsuna rolled her eyes. "Another lively debate I see?"

As the girls sat down, the blonde addressed them.

"Setsuna, darling! Do you hear Marquette making an ass of himself?"

That "ass" was Olivier Marquette, one of Setsuna's comrades. Olivier had long, wild reddish-brown hair. He was tall and well built, with auburn eyes that swooned the ladies. It's a shame that he really is an ass, Setsuna thought, because he's actually quite handsome...

"Ancil, why do you antagonize Olivier like that?" Setsuna asked. "Can't we have one dinner without talking politics?"

Ancil formed a slight grin. "If you insist dear."

Setsuna couldn't help but be angered by Ancil's way of talking. He's so damn arrogant... she thought. Ancil was a short man who had to look up at most men. He had long blonde hair that he gathered in a ponytail and cloudy blue eyes. His nose pointed slightly and he had a subtle cleft chin.