Chapter 09: Interrogation (Part 2)

Setsuna let out a deep breath as Megumi left. My mouth is so dry. I shouldn’t have wasted my spit on her face… But still, her face!

Setsuna chuckled thinking of Megumi’s reaction to taking a spit wad to the nose. A smile spread across her face despite the pain from where Megumi had dug her nails in. After the small bit of pain and laughter subsided, Setsuna began to ponder over what had just happened.

It is strange though... she looked genuinely upset. She even called me by name. What is her issue with Igarashi? Who the hell is she!? Why don’t I know anything!? Damn it!

Setsuna began to grow restless, struggling against her bonds to no avail. I need to go! I have to go! After wearing herself down, Setsuna resigned to her bondage.

I can’t do anything. I’m trapped. I screwed up. Why did I confess? Why couldn’t I lie to Yelena? I killed Olivier for nothing now… I’m terrible... The worst... I’m sorry mother… I guess I really am inferior to Reina. I’m… no jewel like her…

Setsuna started to weep when the door to the underground creaked open. She quickly lowered her head and tried unsuccessfully to quiet her breathing.  

“Back already *sniff* huh?”

Setsuna didn’t get a response. She continued to hang her head, her crying the only sound in the room. Why won’t she say anything? Don’t stare at me! Not like this… Not like this! Setsuna closed her eyes, as if she were making a wish. Go away! Go away! Go away!

Setsuna tried to hide her face, but her restraints wouldn’t budge. She began to cry harder, her eyes like an ever flowing spring of tears.

Don’t look at me, don’t look at me, don’t look at me!

“Setsuna…”

Setsuna opened her eyes after hearing her onlooker’s soft voice. She raised her head slowly.

“Yelena…”

Setsuna blinked a few times to clear the tears from her eyes. “Why are you *sniff* why are you here?”

Yelena looked at Setsuna with an empty expression. After a small silence, Yelena responded.

“Why did you do it? I have to know. Why?”

Setsuna started to squirm in her restraints. “I… I” she began, “I, um… I didn’t have a choice.” Setsuna lowered her head once more.

“Setsuna. I can tell that you have something you don’t want to say. What is it?”

How can she see through me like that? Setsuna wondered.

“I was scared.” Setsuna replied feebly.

“Of Olivier”

“No…”

“Then what?”

“I… I… I…”

Yelena watched Setsuna rattle in fear. She reached a hand out to Setsuna’s face and began to gather ether. Several particles of light started to gather at the sight of injury. As the scratches on Setsuna’s face began to close, the two made eye contact.

“Please. You can tell me what’s going on.”

The light became viridescent after reflecting off Yelena’s shining peridot eyes. Her eyes are beautiful, Setsuna thought. So beautiful, yet they cut right through me like knives…

“…I killed Olivier to save my mother.”

“Your mother?” Yelena asked. “What about her?”

Setsuna quickly broke eye contact with Yelena before answering. “She’s being held prisoner. I was… *sniff* I was told that to save her… *sniff* that I needed to do a ‘job’. I… I… ahhhh!”

Yelena waited for Setsuna to regain her composure. After a few minutes of crying, Setsuna spoke.

“I.. I’m sorry. I’ll tell you everything.”

“Please do.”

*****

Next time: Setsuna's past is unveiled! Please look forward to it!

As always, comments, critiques, and votes are encouraged!