Chapter 11: For Honor (Part 1)

Same day - 1830

The girls were speechless. Eustis approached the two, Setsuna’s kodachi unsheathed.

Yelena ran before Eustis and spread her arms out. “Eustis,” Yelena cried out, “hold on! What do you think you’re doing!?”

Eustis ignored Yelena’s inquiry, continuing to approach Setsuna.

“Eustis!”

Yelena now stood directly in front of Eustis. His brows furrowed as his nostrils flared.

“Move Yelena.” Contrary to his expression, Eustis’s voice lacked emotion.

Yelena shook her head. “No,” she said, her voice unsteady. She stuck her chest out and tried to extend her arms further than they could. Her legs trembled as she stood her ground.

“Move, Yelena.”

“…”

Eustis stared down at Yelena. She looked back at him, her gaze steady despite the fear resonating in her eyes. Her breathing had become quick and heavy.

Eustis closed his eyes, then Yelena did the same. She placed her hands on her buckling knees.

“Listen Yelena. I don’t have any desire to hurt you. Just get out of my way.”

Yelena looked up to Eustis still standing with his eyes closed. She stood upright again.

“I can’t do that.” Yelena replied. “You intend to harm Setsuna. I can’t… I WON’T let you do that! Not while I’m here!”

Setsuna gasped. Yelena, you…

Eustis’s eyes shot open. “J’en ai marre ! ” Eustis backhanded Yelena across her face.

“Yelena!” Setsuna screamed. “Eustis! You’re grudge is against me! Leave her out of it!”

“Well aren’t you noble?” Eustis continued towards Setsuna until Yelena stood in front of him again; her cheek flushed from where Eustis had just struck her.

“Yelena! Get back, please!” Setsuna begged. “I don’t want you to get hurt because of me! I… I deserve…” Setsuna felt a chill run through her body. I deserve to die…

“Eustis,” Setsuna said, “if you want to kill me… then fine. Now’s your chance. Just… just leave Yelena alone.”

Eustis sheathed Setsuna’s blade and threw it down at her feet. “I’m going to kill you, but not before I take back my brother’s honor. We’re going to fight Setsuna. We’re going to fight and I’m going to kill you.” He turned his attention to Yelena. “Undo her restraints. Now.”

Shaken, Yelena immediately complied. Setsuna fell from against the wall onto her hands and knees. She examined her wrist as she rose to her feet; the restraints had scuffed her wrist due to her constant struggling, but she was otherwise unharmed.

“Eustis,” Setsuna said in a low voice, “I… I won’t…” She looked down at the ground. “I can’t fight you.”

“You don’t have a choice!”

“No!” Setsuna rose her head. “I won’t be a part of this anymore! If you want my life, you can have it. I’m done fighting!”

“You’re serious…” Eustis pondered for a moment before drawing his own sword. He raised his blade and pointed it at Yelena.

“Fight me now Setsuna, or Yelena dies!”