Chapter 4

Tough luck. Kitera was waiting for him in the corridor, alone, blue-sleeved arms crossed. An oil lamp set high in the stone wall cast lights and shadows across her golden-brown skin.

Her eyes demanded explanations before she parted her lips to speak.

"Noah, what the—"

"Kitera, I'm too tired for this."

A sigh escaped her. She produced a clinking coin purse from her belt. Though when Noah reached for it, she held it back.

"Will he be all right?"

"He'll be fine," Noah said.

Kitera waited a beat, then nodded.

Noah snatched the purse and peered inside. It was full of gold marks. There was enough to get to the town of Last Snows and back, with plenty more to spare. Without a word he slid it inside his coat.

Suddenly Kitera grabbed his shoulders and forced him to stand in the light.

"What are you doing?" he protested.

"Gods' sakes, Noah." She was staring at his new mark.

"Oh, that? I wanted it there. I like neck tattoos."

"Don't joke about this."

"I never joke. Don't be silly. Say, you wouldn't have a scarf I could borrow?"

"Wait here."

She went back in the room where Jaden was resting, and she came out holding a black scarf lined in gold. She tossed it to Noah, and he slung it around his neck.

"I don't think he'd mind, considering." Kitera crossed her arms again.

Noah wasn't fond of the gold lining. Actually he wasn't fond of scarves. But it would have to do.

"All right, why are you a guard?" Noah asked.

"I'm not just a guard. I'm leader of the castle guards," Kitera said.

Taking that in, Noah couldn't help but grin.

"Are you serious?"

She shrugged one shoulder, hardly concealing a smile of her own.

"But wait." He lost the smile. "Mikael said you should be a maid. Keep a low profile. Spy from a distance. You're best friends with the queen! Where's the distance?"

"A maid. Please," Kitera said, voice heavy with scorn. "You know I'm better than that. I have a better sword hand than you ever did."

"You know I like my throwing knives better. Jack of all trades, master of none, Kitera."

"Excuses," she said.

"This isn't about me. Your father—"

"Underestimated me." Brown eyes glared daggers at him.

"Fine. Be a guard. Good for you. I'm serious. I was just caught by surprise, all right? I didn't even know women could be guards."

"They can now, under Tessa's rule. She's an amazing queen, Noah."

"I'm sure she is."

"She even hired Bryani, did you know that?"

He didn't. Kitera's younger brother Bryani had left the magic cult behind to make a life of his own as an actor. His name was to be spoken carefully, especially around Mikael, who still believed his son was just going through a phase.

"At least he doesn't have to live in the streets with some talentless troupe anymore," Kitera said. "He's living here now. He's an actor at the castle's theater."