Chapter 29

Everyone stared at Jaden with apprehension. Kitera's guards, shock still etched across their features; Matt's supporters, hefting wood cutting axes and short swords as though unsure the battle was truly over; nobles who resided in the keep or close enough to have been rattled awake by the upheaval, many still in their night clothes; the High Priest in his robe of violet velvet huddled with a few others next to the throne, which had been kicked to the side earlier.

A few more guards swept in, having left their posts upon hearing of an attack in the keep. At a firm shake of Kitera's head, they sagged and stood back, watching. A healer had been fetched from the outer ward, a man in a hat and cloak over his night linens, still shivering from the cold as he began his examination of the wounded. A team of bewildered servants followed him around with trays of water, cloths, and bandages. Kitera sent a guard to find another healer, from outside the castle grounds if need be.

Jaden observed everything with an odd numbness. Noah stood by his side.

Once he had most people's attention, Jaden cleared his throat and announced, "The queen is gone. She escaped in the night. As for Matt Dawnson, he was slayed by her Azurian fiancé." His own voice sounded like a stranger's. He had thought the words would be too painful to utter, but they came out like any other, which seemed wrong.

Silence fell on the room.

Jaden glanced at Kemon, who stood by the south entrance with Jaden's charming cell neighbor and the young woman with the long braid. Kemon had gone pale at the news, his usual confident stance faltering. Many others were obviously troubled, especially the men who had followed Matt here to fight. Uneasy whispers erupted throughout.

Earlier, Jaden had wanted to cover himself up, but Noah had gazed at his shoulder and said that it might be helpful if people saw his arrow wound scar. Apparently, Matt had told them a war anecdote. Knowing him, he'd probably exaggerated.

The nobles had started to talk among themselves, about Tessa's escape, most likely. Jaden wondered how a scar could possibly be enough.

When Jaden spoke again, he was surprised by the steadiness of his voice. "This last spring, when King Damian Nightvale fell in battle, I killed the dark mage who'd attacked him."

The memory flashed across Jaden's mind, of someone desperately shouting the king's name, of tearing himself away from the scene below where Matt's outnumbered squadron fought the Azurian cavalry, of a dark mage hurtling his snake demon at the king, who'd just started to ascend a ladder. Jaden's aim locked on the mage as he drew the bowstring, the arrow struck home, and below the snake demon disappeared. But the king didn't get back up. Later Jaden was told that the snake had bit the king just before the mage died.

"But I was too late," Jaden said. "The damage was already done. In his final moments, the king called for me. Upon departing for the war, he had spoken with my mother and she finally told him the truth about my being legitimate." Jaden did his best to ignore the gasps and hushed voices that rippled across the room. "The king had decided to wait until after the war to speak with me but now, being short of time, he spoke his final words to me."

Asking him to keep the truth to himself, to support and protect his sister.

"Damian Nightvale said that he was proud of me," Jaden lied. "I know he was a beloved king. And if a man like him could be proud of me, then I swear I will do everything in my power to make you proud as well."

It was not a great speech, it wasn't even a good one, though to be fair he hadn't been given much time to prepare. Would a scar and a lie be enough?

Apparently so. A frantic roar rose from the men who had followed Matt here to bring the queen down. It filled the vast room as they raised their weapons and fists and cheered, and one enthused young man went, "Long live the king!" Many others shouted it in rejoinder.