Chapter 71

Noah breathed out white air in the moonless cold as he waited for the Azurians to make their move.

"Did you get any sleep?" Jaden asked.

"No," he admitted. "You?"

Shaking his head, Jaden rested his hand on the merlon and glanced ahead at the enemy that threatened to resolve from the darkness at any moment. By the nearest fire pit, Liandris, Caleb, and a few others huddled round for warmth.

Noah ran his fingers up and down the leather bandolier slung across his chest, with two rows of knives tightly sheathed in. He'd been practicing today, and he could now maintain his light while simultaneously throwing knives with his usual accuracy.

"Do it now," Jaden said quietly.

Noah closed his eyes and deepened his breathing. The catalyst's energy stirred and started to pulsate with the rhythm of his heart. And as it came alight inside him, he gently pushed it outward and let it spread. As he opened his eyes again, the scene before him was like a wave of brightness surging across a black beach.

The ranks of Azurians that crowded the land and streets beyond the moat were revealed, looking like a vast swarm of red and steel. Except for one faction, who were cloaked in black with demons by their side, just a few paces from the moat. Counting at least eighty dark mages, Noah exchanged an alarmed glance with Jaden. There were more of them than the night before.

Then suddenly the light vanished, drawing gasps and curses from the Felleran soldiers.

"What happened?" Jaden asked.

"I . . . I don't know." Noah was still harvesting the catalyst's energy, but not one spark of light emanated from him.

"Seraph." Jaden's eyes caught the firelight. "He must be killing your light."

"But how?"

"No idea. Feel free to go and ask him if you'd like," Jaden said. "Invite him over for tea while you're at it."

"You don't have to be an ass," Noah muttered.

Caleb leaned closer to whisper, "He's been a little cranky lately."

The wind abruptly picked up, making Noah shiver as he stepped back to give the archers space. When Jaden lifted his arm to order the first volley, myriad flaming arrows arced through darkness and landed beyond the moat. Flickering firelight danced across the first rows of soldiers. Jaden notched another arrow and was imitated by his fellow archers along the battlements.

Noah craned his neck to watch the army charging at once. The cacophony of metal armor in motion shattered the silence of night as they resiliently crossed the moat's slippery surface despite the arrows hailing down on them. Unease needled Noah's heart – there were too many Azurian soldiers, not enough Felleran archers, and scant visibility even with the fire arrows planted in the ground. Noah stubbornly clung to the catalyst's power and continually tried to recreate the sphere of light, but he grew frustrated as it kept not working.

Clay pots exploded on the first ladders propped against the wall, fire arrows following suit. But then the Fellerans' attention was jerked elsewhere, and Jaden aimed down below as he shouted, "Get them!"

Noah flung himself to a crenel to see what was going on, and his heart skipped a beat then raced to catch up. A group of heavily armored Azurians held up a battering ram and ran towards the portcullis. The archers within range unleashed arrow after arrow to try and take them down, but it was futile and the massive device was thrust into the portcullis. A loud thump echoed ominously as the walkway trembled under Noah's feet.