Chapter 46

They made good time again the next day and kept riding even in twilight, since they were less than an hour away from Quickrivers according to Bryani. A frown troubled his brow as they gazed at the town's lights in the distance.

"Are you all right?" Jaden brought Silver closer to Chestnut.

"I got a bad feeling," Bryani said. "I just don't know what to expect. I haven't seen my father in a long time. He probably hates me."

"Why would he hate you?"

"For leaving the cult. For becoming an actor."

"Personally, if I had a kid," Jaden said, "and I had to choose between actor and dark mage for their life's occupation? I'd go with actor. No hesitation."

Bryani chuckled. "And I don't even want to think about what he'd say if he found out about my . . . inclinations."

Jaden gave him a sidelong glance. "All right, I'll try not to kiss you in front of him. It won't be easy, but I'll do my best."

"You're an idiot." Bryani was smiling, but he was obviously still worried. Truth be told, Jaden was concerned too. He wasn't sure he could trust Kitera not to try anything reckless on her own.

They picked up the pace in a silent agreement, eventually leading their horses into town, then across a wooden bridge. Once in the woods, roots and branches became treacherous in darkness and they had to dismount. Thankfully, Bryani remembered the path very well and they made it to the house. There were no lights, and not a soul in sight. They walked around to find the stables for Silver and Chestnut. Jaden gave Kitera's horse a little rub, Bolt whinnying in response. Then they went back outside.

Bryani shivered. "It's so quiet."

"Wait," Jaden whispered, "do you hear something?" It came from the forest. A man's voice, and . . . Kitera's? "Come on," Jaden said, and Bryani followed him to the back of the house.

They found a path between the massive trees, using trunks and branches for support, guided by the glow of torches in the distance. They trudged on slowly, sometimes holding on to each other to prevent a fall. As the voices got louder, Jaden could sense Bryani's unease.

So Jaden turned to reassure him. "It'll be all right. We only want to see what's happening."

Bryani nodded. When Jaden turned back around, he took one step, only to stumble right into Kitera.

"Jaden? What are you doing here?" she asked.

"He wanted to come with me," Bryani explained. "Kitera, what's going on?"

As Kitera and Bryani hugged, Jaden glanced the other way. Through the trees, torch lights hinted at a group of people that stood in a wide circle.

Kitera ushered them forward as she explained, "He's about to perform the ceremony. I wanted to stop him, but he's put up some kind of barrier. I can't get through. I don't have time to explain right now, but we can't let him do this."

"I trust you," Jaden said. "Let me handle this." Already the little stone pulsed in his chest, feeding him a much-needed dose of confidence.

"How?" she asked.

"Just trust him," Bryani said. "We'll explain later."

Kitera nodded, then moved aside so Jaden could step past her. As he focused, his skin prickled with magical energy that raced down to his fingertips. Jaden stalked closer to the circle. A tall, dark-skinned man was walking around with a cane, speaking in a clear, charismatic voice. Mikael T'Sherazee.