Chapter 20

Clearwater was the realm's most important port city, spanning the distance between the Dryanic Ocean and the Fel River. The city welcomed merchants and travelers in great numbers. Colorful tunics and shawls often draped people's shoulders rather than the usual fleece coats and cloaks.

Now that he was here, Noah found he longed to visit the harbor down the slanting cobblestone streets, where he might glimpse countless ships and where the activity appeared to rival even that of the capital.

But, having a particular establishment in mind, Kitera and Dharkan kept their party to the eastern quarters of the city. Still, Noah promised himself to come back.

They crossed a grand square ringed by shallow steps descending to a flat base, in the center of which stood a bronze statue of Colin Nightvale. First Felleran king from House Nightvale, and Tessa Nightvale's grandfather. The Nightvales, Noah recalled from his lessons, were the owners of the merchant fleet and exerted lordship of this city. Here, the seven-tipped star of Fellera shared its place on banners, windows and doors with the crescent moon, emblem of the Nightvales.

"Do you have family here?" Noah asked Jaden as they crossed a street where a painter stood by a booth displaying portraits of the queen. None did her justice, Noah observed, yet the artist found buyers nonetheless.

"My name is Fairlocks," Jaden reminded as he patted his horse's neck, "not Nightvale. Here they would all rather I didn't exist. The truth is, the houses Nightvale and Fairlocks used to be close friends. For ages their relationship thrived, solidified by business partnerships and arranged marriages. I'm afraid that's all over now, because of my mother and myself."

They lapsed into silence, trailing after Kitera and Dharkan until they reined in before a three-story building of detailed stonework, with delicate vines climbing up the columns that framed the entrance and swirls of marble for the steps leading to the doors.

Dismounting, they made a stop by the long stables to the side of the building before heading inside. Dharkan was already speaking with a tall woman in a profuse peach velvet dress, her blonde hair done in lavish curls, Tessa Nightvale style.

Dharkan seemed pleased when the blonde woman informed them there were rooms available on the top floor. After ascending the spiral staircase, Noah came to understand Dharkan's fondness for this place as they spilled out into a large room with a stunning view of the harbor.

"I reckon these people are leaving," Noah said and hurried to the floor-to-ceiling windows beside which a family rose from their table, the parents taking their young ones by the hand.

Dharkan smiled as he joined him. "Thought you might like this place."

The harbor was certainly charming with all its lights and animation. But beyond the docks and resting ships, the dark ocean shimmering under a bright moonlight was especially enchanting.

"Tonight's on me," Kitera announced before she went to speak with a redhead who had come to take their order.

Jaden chose the seat in front of Noah, admiring the view as well.

They were soon granted a first round of ale, which actually was the best Noah had tasted so far, not that anyone had bragged to that effect. When he shared his thoughts, Jaden said, "The truly best things need no vaunt."

And they drank to that.

With good ale like this, the hours went by rapidly, aided by abundant delicious food. Noah had already scraped the plates clean of sauce with the last pieces of bread. Whenever the red-haired girl noticed that their mugs needed refilling, she hurriedly remedied the situation, exchanging a professional smile with Kitera.