Chapter 58

Jaden and Zemisha took the two free seats in the front row of the gallery. Behind them, Kitera sat with Sofi and Chana, as well as Fredrick, Nissy, and the twins.

Moira sat beside Jaden, and next to her was Bastian, who gave Jaden a nod of acknowledgement before gazing back at the stage, even though nothing was happening yet.

"Apparently, Kemon asked him to be my bodyguard," Moira whispered in Jaden's ear. "He follows me around everywhere. It's really annoying."

"I admit I like the idea of some extra protection around you," Jaden said. "But if he truly bothers you, let me know and I'll take care of it."

Moira sighed. "I guess he's fine, for now."

Below the gallery, rows of velvet seats led down to a broad wooden stage, around which poles held up oil lanterns. Every single seat appeared occupied. With rumors of an incoming attack, the noble populace was keen for a distraction.

Being in this particular gallery brought him back to the night he'd come to find Tessa so he could give her the catalyst. The fake one, that is. What a mess. His hand moved to his chest, feeling the crescent moon through his shirt.

"It's starting," Zemisha whispered.

The theater fell silent as Bryani and a handful of other actors in military uniforms stepped onto the stage. Jaden's chest swelled with pride when Bryani spoke the first lines of A Tale of Two Knights, his clear, sincere voice carrying through the entire theater with ease.

In this version, the other knight in the story wasn't a man, but a woman in disguise. Bryani had told him this was a safer bet, for now. Once the nobles loved him, then he would be able to do whatever he wanted, and they would come to see it.

That time might arrive sooner than Bryani thought. Halfway through the play, most spectators were at the edge of their seat, dying to see the scene where the main character would kiss his fellow soldier, whom he still thought a boy. The comeliness of the lead actress made that part less than believable, but people appeared to be enjoying it nonetheless. And how could they not? Bryani was pouring his heart and soul into it. At times he seemed genuinely emotional, on the verge of breaking down into tears. Jaden's chest tightened as he hoped Bryani was all right, considering the recent tragedy that had befallen his family.

"He's amazing," Zemisha said, and Jaden nodded.

And as the play neared its end, Moira said, "I wish Matt was here."

Jaden took her hand. "I know."

But Bryani never got to feed his co-actress the last lines of the play, because an undesired guest emerged from the curtain and stepped into the light, forcing the lead actor to break character. "Dharkan? What the hell do you think you're doing?"

A gossipy hush swept over the theater.

"What's he doing here?" Chana asked behind Jaden.

"He's ruining the play!" Sofi exclaimed.

Dharkan advanced to the front of the stage, grinning at the audience. Panic seized Jaden. He rose and clutched the railing. "Bryani!" he shouted. "That's not Dharkan."

Understanding right away, Bryani motioned at the two nearest guards. They started to climb up, but fell back halfway, clutching their throats and making choking sounds.

Dharkan – no, Seraph – smiled at the gasping spectators. "Everyone stay in your seats, nice and quiet, unless you'd like to end up like these two." The guards now lay still on the floor, eyes open and bulging.

Jaden cursed, wishing he had his bow. Instead he bent to retrieve the knife strapped to his ankle. Now what? He was no Noah Starborn when it came to throwing knives, plus he didn't want to hurt Dharkan, but he couldn't just do nothing . . .