Chapter 24

Seeing the Traveler's Nest brick walls and steep rooftop, with the columns of smoke fluttering up from two chimneys, brought Noah a déja-vu sensation. Just one week ago he was entering this inn alone, only to leave the next morning with Kitera and Jaden by his side.

Across the front yard, stable yard and spreading as far back as Noah could see, improvised tents of canvas and blankets had been set up. Hundreds of people crowded the space, braving the cold air of early nightfall.

They actually found Ron and his friends again as they stood in the street overlooking the front yard with their horses.

"No more stalls left in the stables," Ron stated the obvious, speaking loudly to be heard over the din of so many people gathered together.

Dharkan leaned towards Noah. "Do you see him anywhere?"

Noah shook his head, and Dharkan clicked his tongue in annoyance.

"So much for your hunch."

Misunderstanding their exchange, Ron said, "Matt should come out soon for a speech. You guys showed up at the perfect time."

"Lucky us." Dharkan's sarcasm was lost on Ron, who gave them an encouraging smile.

The kid was right, though. A feverish hum rippled through the crowd as someone appeared on the narrow porch, his copper hair catching the lantern's light as his hands slid from his cloak to settle upon the wooden railing. As an apprehensive silence fell, Noah craned his neck to get a glimpse of the young man who stood just behind Matt. Could that be—

"Kemon Clay?" Kitera exclaimed next to him, her eyes disbelieving.

Noah flicked his gaze back to the porch when Matt began to speak.

"In case anyone here doesn't already know, my name is Matt Dawnson." That got a few laughs and one cheer. "Let me begin by telling you a story. The story of how I slayed one hundred Azurians by myself." More cheering now, with a few people raising their fists in the air.

"First of all," Matt continued, "it isn't true." Laughter erupted. Matt's tone was easy and charismatic. "The night of our assault on the Treon wall, my squadron was in charge of breaching the gates with the battering ram. Atop the wall, Azurian archers crippled us with arrows. But our archers returned their attack with a hailing of their own, even as the enemy's dark mages preyed upon them. With their help we succeeded, and so we rushed into the opening. Meanwhile the rest of our troops attempted the near-impossible task of climbing up ladders to reach the battlements."

Everyone held their breath as Matt's voice carried across the night. "Beyond the gates, many Azurian soldiers awaited us. Too many, and we knew we would meet our end but were determined not to give up without a fight. Then suddenly I felt the hiss of an arrow flying past my ear, striking a soldier who'd been about to hack me down. More arrows rained down on our enemy, giving us an unhoped-for chance. Looking up I saw him atop the wall. He had climbed a ladder and stood over the gates, and as I watched fear gripped me because an enemy's arrow pierced his shoulder. But he grasped the arrow in his fist, snapped the fletching, then reached over and pulled it out. I swear to you, I saw it with my own eyes. Then he notched an arrow and it pierced another Azurian that was coming my way. His aim true as ever. So I carried on fighting knowing the Gods were with us, for what other explanation is there for such a feat?"

Matt paused, letting the people roar, nodding slowly as he eyed his admirers. Noah found himself as rapt as everybody else.

"Yes, I did kill many, but without this archer I wouldn't be here right now standing before you. The name of that man is Jaden Nightvale." A silence fell over the crowds, but Matt didn't let that trouble him. "You heard me. The king himself revealed the truth before he died. Jaden's father was the king all along. Blessed with a kind heart, Jaden kept this secret to protect his sister. And I agreed, though reluctantly I'll admit, to keep this secret as well. Until now. Now, Tessa Nightvale has gone too far."