Chapter 18

They rode for the remainder of the night and most of the next day, indulging in rare breaks by the riverbank, scarcely speaking.

As the sun slowly painted the clouds in breathtaking pinks and blues, they arrived to a small village exhausted, saddle-sore, and hungry. According to Kitera, this village was home to an inn Dharkan was quite fond of. The Royal Ale, Noah read on the sign.

~ Best ale in Fellera, do you think? ~

The music of bitterns and zithers spilled out from the inn's common room as they jumped off their saddles to meet up with a stable boy.

"We're looking for someone." Kitera pulled her cloak tighter against a southbound wind. "He's Laethi, tall, black hair, brown eyes, perhaps not as weary as he should be for a man on foot, yet with no horse to place in your stables."

A flicker of recognition flashed across the kid's eyes. "A man like that did come here, my lady. He's inside, I reckon."

"Thank you." She handed him a few coppers, and Bolt's reins.

The inside was full of light, music and warmth. A band performed on the raised stage while merchants, travelers and locals mingled around the tables. The innkeeper, a plump woman with greying blonde hair and a wide dimpled smile, welcomed them.

"You're in luck! I have one room left," she announced. "But no more tables at the moment, I'm afraid."

"That's quite all right," Kitera said. "I'd like to sit at the bar."

Noah spotted a lone man sitting at the end of the counter that ran along the far wall. Lifting his gaze from his mug, Dharkan waved his fingers at them.

The innkeeper rubbed her hands down her apron as she studied Kitera with a slight frown.

"Would you like me to send someone to show you to your room, so you can maybe change?"

Kitera waved her off. "Maybe later."

She strode past the astonished innkeeper, towards Dharkan, scabbard flapping against her hip.

"We'll have ale and food," Noah told the innkeeper.

With Jaden they grabbed spare wooden stools and dragged them over to where Kitera and Dharkan sat.

"Hi Noah," Dharkan said.

Noah sat between Jaden and Kitera without a word. Dharkan's smirk shone amidst a few days' stubble, and there was evident mirth in his eyes. A white amulet dangled from a silver chain around Dharkan's neck, clashing stupidly against his snug black outfit.

"Interesting necklace," Noah said. "Really brings out your eyes."

"Ah, thank you! I stole it actually," Dharkan replied.

"Mikael sent you?" Noah asked.

"Obviously. You were gone a while. Found yourself a boyfriend?" Dharkan spared Jaden a glance. "That explains a lot. I'm happy for you."

"You know, I hear this inn recently had an issue with spider-infested beds, just in your room specifically," Noah said.

Dharkan just smiled. Kitera sighed and took a swig from Dharkan's mug. The innkeeper chose this moment to bring fresh ale for everyone.

"Best ale in—"

"Fellera?" Noah guessed.

"The world," the innkeeper corrected, beaming.

Dharkan raised his drink. "Gods bless you, I like people who aim high!"

Blushing, the woman said something about Dharkan's accent sounding quite charming, before she returned to ordering serving girls around.