Chapter 37

Jaden found solace on the training grounds. Kitera's new recruits were practicing their archery skills, and as Jaden paced behind them he spared some words of advice when appropriate.

"Don't just pull, push – use your bow arm," he told Ivy. When she released the shaft, it missed the bullseye by less than an inch. Better than her last attempt, which hadn't hit the target at all. She smiled, thanked him, and instantly reached for another arrow.

Having brought his own bow, Jaden eventually went to stand at the seventy yards mark from the last target. Quiver bristling with arrows strapped to his back, he notched, drew, breathed out, and shot. Then he did it again. Over and over, the steel tips hit the tiny circle, until a small crowd of onlookers gathered behind him. But Jaden didn't mind, he let them watch as he carried on with the exercise.

Then he realized something. The ache in his shoulder was gone. It had been there since the war, had made him wince with every draw of the bowstring. In the spring, the healer had instructed him not to use a bow for at least six months. Jaden hadn't listened.

Come to think of it, a few teeth had been bothering him ever since Myzian had punched his jaw. Now that seemed fixed too. Not a trace of pain. He shot his last arrow, then slowly lowered his bow. The little crowd dispersed, some of them thanking him for the demonstration, others complimenting his talent.

To that, he said, "It's not talent, it's practice."

Shivering in the rising wind, he made his way to the target to retrieve his arrows. As he did so, someone approached with long-legged strides. A handsome someone with countless tiny black braids slicked back into a hair tie.

"I'm so glad I finally found you!" Bryani looked at the remaining arrows before they got plucked out.

Jaden hoisted up his quiver and bow. "How have you been?"

"Good!" He chuckled nervously. "I haven't blacked out or invaded anyone else's privacy, so that's something."

They walked together across the training grounds and towards the south wing. He noticed Bryani had little metal studs in his ear, just like Kitera.

"But how are you?" Bryani asked. "The guard at your door said you were sick."

"I'm better now."

"Listen, um, I didn't get a chance to thank you after . . . that night. When I woke up you weren't there, so . . . Anyway, it was incredibly kind of you to let me sleep over. I mean, you're the king. I'm really embarrassed."

Jaden smiled. "Don't be. It's really fine."

They traveled along the south wing's exterior wall before finding an entrance and stepping inside.

"I'd like to make it up to you." Bryani lowered his head to avoid a dangling lantern. "Tonight, maybe? I could bring wine."

"I'm afraid I don't drink much."

They slowed down as they reached the theater's arched entrance. "Why not?"

"A few years ago, my teacher punished me for stealing from the masters' stash by making me drink nearly an entire bottle of Laethi rice liquor. I assume to traumatize me away from drinking forever, which it kind of did," Jaden explained.

"No, no way." Bryani shook his head. "We can't let him win, can we? Besides, don't take this the wrong way, but you look like you could use a drink. Or two."

Jaden laughed. "Maybe."

"I have to get to rehearsal." Bryani glanced briefly over his shoulder, then back at Jaden. "I'll see you tonight?"