Chapter 10

The day turned out to be perfect for riding. Warming up their skin, the sun shone in a pure sky, not one cloud in sight. A brisk wind swept across the land, rustling evergreens, oaks and shrubs.

Kitera's mount, a tall grey named Bolt, led the way as they traveled along the North Road. Jaden rode Silver, a sturdy white horse with a cute triangle of grey fur between the eyes.

From one hilltop to another, they glimpsed the White Mounts rising to the north. There was yet a long way to go; at least two more nights would be spent at inns.

In the afternoon, Noah felt too warm under the sunlight and made the mistake of pulling up his sleeves.

"What's that, on your arm?" Jaden asked.

Noah reflexively tugged the sleeve down but it was too late, Jaden had caught the spider tattoo inside his right arm.

"I like spiders," Noah explained.

Jaden brought his horse alongside Shadow, while Kitera was too far ahead to be listening.

"Really?" Jaden sounded skeptical.

"They're fascinating creatures," Noah said.

"You'd do right to be careful who you show that to," Jaden advised. "Truth is, it looks like dark magic."

Noah didn't reply, letting the silence stretch, and for a blessed time it seemed Jaden had given up on a conversation. They rode on, the Fel River a few yards to their left, some shallow streams occasionally crossing their path, with minnows, tadpoles and waterspiders dancing across their surface. They seldom came across other travelers, just a few merchants heading south, their carts heaped with pelts or wool.

"I once heard," Jaden started again, and Noah held back an irritated sigh, "that in Laethi they developed a technique of marking the skin permanently with ink. Is that where you got it done?"

"Actually, I'd rather not discuss it."

Jaden's expression was unreadable. "Of course. Forgive me, I shouldn't have pried."

***

With everything going on, today's date had completely slipped from Noah's mind. It was Autumn Night, and the town of Moonvale was ready for the celebration. A small town nestled in a broad valley cornered by hills, with cobblestone streets and white-washed houses, Moonvale was modest but pleasant. In its large public garden, an impressive bonfire ribboned towards the sky.

After choosing an inn and devouring dinner, Noah and Jaden let Kitera drag them out to the celebration. She wore her corseted dress again, brown tresses falling down her shoulders, kohl lining her eyes. She led them across stable yards and wagon lots, improvising a shortcut to the gardens. With a slight nostalgia, Noah noticed that the glint in Kitera's eyes was the same as when they used to go dancing on nights like this, back in Quickrivers.

The bonfire's smoke spiraled up into the dark sky, and the steadily increasing rhythm of the drums made Noah's heart beat faster. The gardens' entrance featured a group of young men in orange-red coats pouring ale from barrels into cheap goblets, which they handed out to anyone willing to spare a few coppers.

Noah asked for three, fishing out his coins, only to hear one of the young men announcing that the ale was free for Kitera. Noah shrugged and paid for two.

"Having a pretty girl in the group comes in handy," Noah said as Kitera accepted her free drink.

"He wasn't bad-looking himself," came Kitera's wistful reply.

Jaden spared her an amused glance. "He might fancy a dance later."

Kitera said, "He might get one, if he's a skilled enough dancer to handle me, that is."