Departing Gift ❤

Bernadette (Xander's Mums) POV:

"I'm Doctor Lewis from FRANK and I'm a rehab specialist."

I tut loudly shaking my head. If he thinks I'm leaving my house for rehab he must be insane.

"You must not worry Miss Moore, we don't ask for our patients to start a rehab program right away but more so, for them to allow a specialist like me to have meetings with you once or twice a week in the comfort of your own home."

I give Dr Lewis a confused stare before glancing over to my son.

"How much are you paying Dr Lewis for such service?" I inquire.

Xander nods quickly. "Don't worry Mum, I'm doing this for you, it's a present to you."

"But its not my Birthday and it surely isn't Christmas." I reply sharply.

Xander half smiles. "Hear Dr Lewis out Mum." He says in a begging tone.

I put my hands up in protest.

"Who said I wasn't."

"Good now is anyone thirsty before we go on."

Dr Lewis looks at me expectant then back to Xander.

"I'll have a strong coffee please if its not to much trouble." Dr Lewis says under his breath barely audible.

"And I'll have the usual." I say.

Xander nods then stands up.

"Now Mum, this is my last attempt in trying so please consider it and do you want Gin or Vodka?".

"Gin." I answer happily.

"And yeah I'll hear it out." I say with a wide smile. Of course the smiles were more for the alcohol then this Lewis feller.

Xander leaves the room hurriedly and I look over at Dr Lewis. I stare him out for a few seconds and he fiddles around uncomfortably.

"You have a welcoming demeanor Dr Lewis and for that I'm willing to consider the offer that you place forward."

Dr Lewis smiles warmly.

"Thank you Miss Moore, I'm glad to hear that."

"Oh please Bernadette I prefer."

Xander's POV:

After Dr Lewis had left, I cooked up a chicken soup and sat down with Mum for dinner.

"This soup is nice son." My Mum begins.

"Thank you Mum, just whipped up something quick." I say.

"Also, would you do me a favour and drink a glass of water while you eat." I ask. Seeing that Mum was in a good and complying mood and not yet drunk - I thought hey why not ask her to drink some fresh clean water for a change.

"Just the one." Mum chuckles.

I laugh pouring her a glass of water.

Seeing my Mum drink that water made me feel the proudest ever.

"So okay, from next week, you will have sessions here with Dr Lewis." I say placing my spoon down and resting my hand beside my plate.

"Twice a week for now yes." Mum says in agreement.

I nod happily thinking about the effort and time it has taken to get to this type of progress with my Mum, the most stubborn woman I no.

Mum puts her spoon down and puts her hand over my free hand.

"Despite how rough its been these past years for us both, thank you for sticking by me."

I nod in a yeah gesture, I suddenly felt taken back and shocked. My Mum barely says thank you to me and barely shows me love. Apart of me was terrified for what she was going to say next.

"Mum I love you, its fine okay."

"No its not Xander, I have hurt you mentally and physically, I have drank my liver to smithereens right in front of you and now you're leaving me, I deserve it."

"I'm not leaving you per say, I'm more so moving out to meet my future wife, to settle down, get married." I insist.

"Of course yes." Mum says moving her hand to her hair and itching it a little. She then puts her hand in her dressing gown pocket.

"I have a departing gift for you Xander."

"You do." I ask in confusion.

"Its all I've ever wanted to give you and it seems like the right time."

Mum brings out a pink envelope from her pocket and places it on the table in front of us both.

"Mum gifts are not needed." I say agitated. I didn't want to take from my Mum, leaving her was hard enough.

"Oh please I insist." Mum says pushing the envelope further to me.

I shrug picking up the envelope. I slowly open it and tut glaring at Mum.

"If I had knew we was swapping gifts I would of brought you something."

"Dr Lewis is enough. now read it." She tells me.

I open up the envelope in full and pull out a crisp cheque.

It reads '£20,000 for Xander Moore' with Mum's signature scribbled below.

"Mum I..."

"Its all yours baby."

"Where did you even get such cash." I say my hands shaking.

"Its your childhood savings and such, alongside the money your dead beat dad would send every month, but I never told you about it, would leave it in the account to build up."

"Mum I can't... I don't..."

"Just take it boy, or else I'll take it back and spend it on fine wines and vodkas." My Mum giggles.

The fact Mum had kept my savings from me and chosen not to spend it on herself was the most selfless thing she had ever done. Maybe she did love me dearly although at times I would think otherwise.

"Mum, thank you so much." I shriek.

I get up and take hold of her in a big hug.

"You take care of yourself and never be broke or hungry." She explains.

"Oh Mum.. I'm in such a state of shock." I reply.

I pull away from her just staring at the cheque.

"Its for you and the lucky lady." Mum tells me.

Angelina.

Me and her could build such a life together with this type of money. Smiling at the realization I rush to the fridge in excitement.

"I don't drink much but lets have a drink, a celebratory drink on me.

Mum claps excitedly.

"I won't say no to that."

With that, we have a few celebratory drinks and get fairly drunk. At least now I knew, I knew I could move out on good terms with my Mum and a pile of money in my bank to take care of me and Angelina.

⏩⏩⏩