Salad talks

If u guys were unaware, firefighters work 24 hour shifts then go home for 24 hours.

"Tomatoes?!" Frank called out from the kitchen to his other colleagues.
"Yes please!" Ray was the only one to answer with a collection of other groans and mumbling coming from the other room.
"I'll take that as a yes." Frank muttered as he finished making the salads.
He was always cooking for the crew, it was one of his other hobbies, besides being a firefighter and occasionally playing guitar. It constantly brought up the feeling of nostalgia, he was always preparing dinner with his mother before she passed away.

"Need some help?" Ray asked as he entered the room, needing to talk to his friend in a more private manner. "Umm... yeah just cut up those cucumbers." Frank ordered as he retrieved the tomatoes from the fridge.

"So," Ray started, breaking the silence. "Are you going home after this shift?" Ray asked nonchalantly even though it was eating away at the both of them. Frank shrugged as if it was nothing. "Eh, probably not." He responded as he began to set the table. Frank was usually the one to take extra shifts. He took them as if they weren't important and life threatening as they were.

"C'mon man, you gotta get some rest." Ray tried to reason, tossing the other vegetables into the bowl. 48 hours of work was a big weight to carry but Frank didn't seem to view it that way. Frank wasn't afraid of death, maybe he didn't mind dying.

"Nah, I just sleep on the couch half the time, you know how it goes." Frank put on his best plastic smile and started to retrieve refreshments from the refrigerator.
Ray put down his utensil and lowered his voice, grabbing Franks arm, forcing him to look him in the eyes.

"I'm worried about you, ok?" He finally said, getting rid of the weight that was on his shoulder. Frank furrowed his eyebrows, trying to pretend like it didn't mean the world to him that someone cared.
"Why?" He asked, squirming out of rays grip and continued on with making the salad.

"Dude you never go home." He explained as he began voicing his worries. "Your always working." Frank finally caved, Letting his façade crumble."That's because I have nothing to go home for!" He exclaimed as he slammed his knife on the countertop and ran a hand through his hair.

Ray was taken aback by Frank's sudden outburst, he always kept his cool no matter the situation. It was plain to see that this problem had been bothering him for a while now.

Frank sighed and rested his head in his hands as he began to explain his difficulties that have been nagging his brain for a while now, knowing he could trust his best friend.

"I don't have any family Ray, after mom died, I was not going back to my dad." He started as tears began to slip down his cheeks. "You guys are my family, these were my dreams and I've finally reached them." He sighed as he made hand gestures to emphasize his point. "Now I just don't know what to do since I've achieved them." He said under his breath.

Rays eyes were wide once Frank finally whirled around to make eye contact with his friend. "Wow Frank, I had no idea." He said pulling him in for a hug. "Your right these are your dreams," Ray said as they let go of each other's embrace. "You should stay here if you want to." He said, placing a hand on Franks shoulder. He wanted the best for his friend.

Frank smiled and thanked Ray as they rounded up the others for dinner. Of course Frank was slightly liberated, but the weight was only invisible.

I'm sorry if this seems cheesy