I gotta spare and you dont have a choice

The fluorescent hospital lights were as bright as ever while Frank watched Gerard sob into Mikey's shoulder. He wanted to walk toward him and hold him in his arms, stroke his hair and tell him it would be alright. But he was frozen in place, unable to move. He just stood there, arms extended for someone to hold. The delicate bouquet of red roses on the nightstand began to wilt, then quickly enkindled into a monstrous inferno. It spread throughout the room, igniting everything in sight, except Gerard. Frank was still glued to the floor attempting to scream but it was no use. "Frank! Help!" Gerard shouted from across the room, confided in the corner by the conflagration. Everything started to fade as Gerard continued to shriek.

•~•~•~•

He awoke with his blood pounding in his ears, his heart rate through the roof. Glancing around he realized it was just a dream and yesterday's events started flooding back. After they had left Mikey's room, they went to the hospital cafeteria to grab some food. Frank must have passed out in the waiting room, not recalling the rest of the events that followed. His butt was numb from the uncomfortable chairs and being in the same position for such a long period of time.

Gerard's head was rested on his shoulder as he slept peacefully with Frank's coat wrapped around his arms. He didn't remember lending it to him, but he knew he would give anything to make him happy. He just couldn't forget his face. Tears cascading down his cheeks, begging Frank not to leave him. Of course he wouldn't abandon him, who did he have besides Mikey?

He seemed to cling to Frank like he was his only lifeline, the only thing keeping him alive. But maybe he was. Maybe Frank was the only conscious person there for him, he didn't know his past, hell, he hasn't even known him a full day. What if his parents were never there for him and his brother? Franks parents never neglected him nor hurt him physically or emotionally, but what if theirs did. He couldn't imagine going home to that kind of environment.

Gerard began to stir, pressing his face farther into the crook of Franks neck. Where would they go after this? He certainly couldn't stay in this waiting room forever, who knows how long it would be until Mikey wakes up. If he wakes up... Frank couldn't fathom the thought of Gerard having to live without his brother. He seemed like his other half, the only thing keeping him going.

It finally dawned on him that Gerard would have to go to some sort of foster home, if he didn't have any family. Unless he was to old. Then he would be on the streets, with nothing. But what if he came with Frank? He didn't live with anyone and he had a spare bedroom.

He didn't know how long he had been sitting there just thinking and listening to the rustle of the hospital building until sunlight began to filter into the room. Gerard started shifting again but this time yawned and rubbed the sleep from his eyes, pulling Franks jacket closer around his shoulders. "Good morning." Frank finally said as Gerard stretched and slumped down in his chair again. "How did you sleep?" He asked but Gerard only shrugged and twiddled his thumbs. Not much of the morning person?

"Coffee?" He inquired, keeping it to yes or no questions. Gerard finally made eye contact with him and nodded. Frank stood up, making his way to the cafeteria. He didn't expect Gerard to follow him but he did, almost like he was latched onto his side. They retrieved their cups and regained their seats in the waiting room, Falling into a comfortable silence as they sipped at their drinks.

"So... um..." Frank started deciding to take a jab at the problem. "Do you have any other family?" He asked, knowing it was a touchy subject. Gerard shook his head, fingering a hole in his jeans. "My parents died in the fire and I don't have any other family." He said, taking a sip from his coffee.

That was like a slap in the face. It was Franks fault, He could have saved them. He felt the weight of guilt rest on his shoulders. "I-I'm sorry. I-" he stuttered to get out an apology but he didn't know how to apologize for killing ones parents. Gerard just smiled, a small smile, but it still made Frank happy. "No. Don't be sorry. I hated those assholes. I should be thanking you." He said, which only saddened Frank. Having to live with people that you wanted dead must have not been an ideal life.

"So you don't have anywhere to go?" Frank asked, immediately regretting it as Gerard's face fell. "No." He sighed, running his finger around the rim of his styrofoam cup. "Well you can stay with me." Frank stated and Gerard's head shot up with his eyebrows knitted together. "Really?" He whispered then quickly shook his head. "No, no, I don't wanna be a burden."He confessed with his eyes glued to the floor. Frank only chuckled and rose from his seat, extending a hand to Gerard. "Well, I have a spare bedroom and you don't really have a choice."