Chapter 21 A sip of 'Cabernet Sauvignon'

Loving James Moriarty is like loving the wind.

He's an aimless, reckless force of powerful proportions, but under certain conditions, he is kind, and gentle.

Today, he was a light cool breeze, taking the last few moments before he got out of bed to pull your body flush against him, and place a loving soft kiss to your forehead.

Moments of affections, where not rare, but rather silence and peace was. He was a man, whom after years of the same dragging routine, had found his passion, his antidote to his sickened mind.

That antidote being, Sherlock Holmes.

His hand had found its home in the curve of your lower back, his head nestled beside your ear as you laid your head against his firm chest.

"Today is his second screening" he mumbled to you, his voice raspy yet content. "I thought it necessary to let you know, I won't leave this in their rather incapable hands."

You sighed, knowing when he said this it meant he would be absent that day, and that you would need to find your own means of work. Typically, however, he would offer a counter assignment to following him all day.

"I'm aware" you whispered to him, not lifting your head form its place on his chest. "I bare no prejudice".

"I've been distant" he said, causing your head to lift from its position and stare into his eyes. "That, I won't deny".

You furrowed your brows, and then ran the length of his jaw line with your finger tips. "Unavoidable, you're a busy man".

You saw his eyes shift to the night stand behind you, and knew it must be 8:00, when you felt him shift and begin to sit up.

When he rose to his feet and looked back down at you resting against his pillow he gave a soft smile and bent down to press a perfectly crafted kiss to your lips.

"Dinner tonight, 'The Landmark'?"  He asked as he still hovered over your body. He knew by now that any excuse to be in his presence was more than wanted, so he never needed to ask.

But that's the thing about being a king; you serve no one but your queen.
----------------------------------
The assignment Jim had left for you was a curious one, a note given by his secretary to you, with an address, and a key attached to it. From past experiences you knew better then to ask questions, realizing he typically left them to be answered as you went. So naturally, you hailed a cab once outside the tunnels, a few miles outside in fact, and gave him the address you had been presented with.

The drive took nearly 40 minutes, before you finally arrived in the small, cozy town of Wealdstone. England.  Near the center of the town, the driver pulled up to a curb, where four small building stood, most likely containing three or four flats in each.  After paying the driver the amount, as well as the extra tip for the request of a silent ride, you made your way to the steps of the third building and opened the door to find a rather small lobby.  The address that Jim had given you, had been vague, so where to go from here was an absolute mystery to you.

Luckily, your phone vibrated in your pocket at the exact moment you began to search for signs of life behind the front desk. Upon pulling it out, you where met with the same message as you assumed you'd get. An unknown number giving you the instructions to the flat that your assignment was in. Jim never used his real phone number, no matter if it meant talking to you, he was rather concerned about being traced. 

'Second floor, only room.' – J.M

Making your way up the stairs and to the door was easy, the slight fear in your veins as you noticed the scribbled out name plate, was not.