Chapter 17

Chapter 17
~Jaelyn's point of view~

Joey drove Jesse and I to 'Powerhouse Fitness'. Mikey went to go and pick up Lacy. I was almost certain Mikey had a thing for my best friend.

The entire drive there, all I could think about was that I was nervous to fight again. I knew this fight would be harder than the one with Kira and that my opponent would probably be more experienced than me. I didn't want to lose. I needed to win so I could get closer to fighting Mae. She challenged me and I wasn't going to back down.

I couldn't think ahead too much. I just needed to take things slowly. One small victory at a time until I reach my goal of beating Mae.

When we pulled into the parking lot people were standing outside having some sort of tailgate party.

"I didn't realize people we this intense with the tournament." I muttered to Jesse.

"Normally it isn't like this. It normally happens when the tournament is closer to the finals."

"They're probably coming so early because Mae has been talking about you. They want to see if it's true." Joey said as he swung his car keys. Jesse punched Joey in the shoulder.

"What's she saying?" I said with a clenched jaw. Anger started to surge through me. Mae needed to shut her mouth. I was getting sick of her cockiness.

As he held open the door to the gym he looked at me emotionlessly. "It doesn't matter."

"I still want to know what she is saying." Even if it didn't matter I still wanted to know because it was about me.

Joey opened his mouth to speak but Jesse shot him a deadly stare and he quickly shut his mouth. We walked into Powerhouse in silence.

People were crowed around the ring. It didn't look like a fight was going on. Someone was in the middle of the ring talking. Cheers filled the room. I couldn't see who was talking in the ring because I was too short, but the voice was so familiar. Mae.

I looked over at Jesse to see if he had also noticed it was Mae running her big mouth. Jesse gave me a look that said: don't do anything you'll regret later.

Jesse grabbed my hand. "Squeeze it as hard as you can. You'll feel better. C'mon squeeze it."

I grabbed Jesse's hand and I started to squeeze. It did help a little but I couldn't block out what Mae was saying.

"I don't know how this newbie thinks she can come and beat me. I'm the best there is. This girl thinks she's hot shit because Jesse Stevens is training her. I bet he's only doing it to get laid."

The crowd laughed as Mae continued to bash us. I was stilling squeezing the life out of Jesse's hand. Mae was such a bitch. I couldn't want until I could fight her.

After awhile, Joey went outside to get Lacy and Mikey. Lacy had brought me one of her infamous protein shakes. I gladly drank it down. We had come to Powerhouse a little earlier than usual because Jesse thought it would be a good idea to watch my opponents fight in the ring so I could learn their moves.

The fights were always pretty close. A couple girls looked like they could eat me and spit me out like it was nothing. Which terrified me, but I kept my cool because size didn't matter. It was strength and agility. I could do this.

After a couple of fights Jesse took me to the locker rooms so he could tape up my hands. "Jae, you'll be fine. Today's fight is against Rachel McAddams. She looks like a total badass but don't be intimidated. All you have to do is make her tired and you'll have this fight in the bag."

"Okay," I said as I watched Jesse tape my hands. His fingers danced across my hand as he used his other hand to bring the roll of tape around my hand. Everything Jesse does never fails to  look absolutely perfect.
**

Sweat poured down my face as I shuffled around the ring, dodging punches. Rachel could move but I was quicker. Unfortunately, her punches hurt like a bitch. I let my guard down for a second to reevaluate my next move. It was stupid of me because the next thing I knew was that my mouth guard was being shot out of my mouth.

It landed on the floor with a slap. She had punched me in the jaw and it hurt like hell. I didn't even bother to get my mouth guard I just tried to find an opening to punch Rachel. She was much bigger than me. Probably a foot taller, but I could win. I knew I could. I just needed to find out what her pattern is.

I dodged a couple more of her punches. She would jab right twice and then go in for a solid punch. Occasionally, she would jab right three times. Whenever she jabbed, she left an opening for someone to punch her. She would bring her left arm down. I don't know how she made it that far with doing that, but that would be how I could beat her.

She punched me again in the same spot. Black dots blurred my vision. I shook it off and let her jab once and then twice. The the third time I quickly punched her in the face and then in the stomach. This sent her flying to the ground. She wasn't getting up. The crowd roared. Adrenaline coursed through my body. I felt alive. I loved winning. It was an amazing feeling.

The ref came into the ring and held my left arm up. "Winner!"

The crowd cheered as he said that. But some 'booed' me. I didn't care though, I was one step closer to fighting Mae.

The ref dropped my arm and walked out of the ring. Rachel was sitting on the floor of the ring heaving. I walked over to her and offered her my hand.

"Good job," She said as she took my hand. As I helped her up I thanked her and told her she did good as well.

"It's hard to believe that you're just a newbie." Rachel said as she took her mouthguard out of her mouth.

"Thank you, I've been training a lot."

"It's obvious. I think you can beat Mae. Someone has to." Rachel said as she walked over to the edge of the ring.

I picked my mouthguard up off of the floor and looped it through my sports bra strap. I exited the ring and went over to Jesse, Joey, Lacy and Mikey.

Lacy greeted me with a hug. "Jaelyn you killed it up there!"

"Thanks Lacy," I was exhausted, my body aches. Every muscle in my body screamed in agony. My jaw was throbbing and my hands felt like they were incased in cement blocks.

Lacy let go of me and I went over to Jesse. He was smiling at me. I smiled back and fell into his arms. He cupped my face in his hands and his fingers brushed the already forming bruises.

"Is it that bad?" I said as I watched Jesse grimace.

"It'll heal." He said, his eye transfixed on my jaw.
**

When we got home I crashed on the futon. My legs couldn't make it any further. Jesse lifted my legs up so he could sit on the couch. My legs were now on his lap. We rested on the futon in silence for what felt like hours.

Jesse would occasionally massage my legs and it felt amazing. I sat up and put my head on Jesse's shoulder. He then put his head on top of mine.
I think we both fell asleep there because I woke up in my bed still clad in my clothes from the fight.

I don't remember making it to my bed. I think Jesse had woke up and carried me there. I was so exhausted after the fight with Rachel. I hoped that I wouldn't burn out in my other fights. I had to keep going. I needed to prove Mae wrong. I wasn't just any newbie. I would be the newbie that beat her and took her title.