Chapter 32

Chapter 32
~Jaelyn's point of view~

Jesse and I went to Powerhouse to get my prize money. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the money. I still had the feeling that something bad was going to happen. I was so tempted to leave the money and just go home. It was making me unbelievably queasy.

We entered the gym and Janice greeted us. "Hey guys! Follow me to the back and I'll give you the check."

We followed her silently to the back room where Janice handed me a check. It was for ten thousand dollars. I was suprised that I made as much money as Jesse did. It felt like I didn't deserve the money. I felt like it belonged to Jesse since he trained me to fight. It felt like I earned that much money too easily.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the money. I'd probably put it towards a new car. All of the money would really help me out with getting a nicer car, but the more I thought about it the more guilty I felt. I knew I'd trained for countless hours but it still almost seemed unfair.

I felt selfish taking the money. I knew it could help me, but I knew Jesse needed it more to pay for his mom's hospital bills. I thanked Janice and walked out of powerhouse with Jesse trailing behind me.

As Jesse and I walked out of Powerhouse I looked at the check in my hands and spoke. "Jess, can we go see your mom? I'd like to talk to her."

Jesse looked at me and smiled widely, making his eyes crinkle. "Yeah, I haven't visited her since the last time we went together. I've been so busy. Hopefully she's doing better since the doctors haven't called me."
**

When Jesse and I went to visit his mom we found out that she was doing a lot better. The meds they had switched her to were helping tremendously. The doctor had even suggeted that she could have a supervised night out with Jesse.

Jesse had left the room to discuss the protocol for his mother's supervised night out. I was sitting on the bed next to his mom.

"Mrs. Stevens, I was wondering if I could do something for you. Would you mind?"

Mrs. Stevens looked at me with a quizzical look, but then she nodded.
"What is it dear? Going to break me out of here? We've got to hurry before they come and take me away. They've got cameras in here to watch our every move."

She was in much better shape compared to the last time I saw her. She was still paranoid, but it wasn't as bad as last time. "You're going to be fine, I promise. I was wondering if I could move you to a better place to take care of you."

"Oh darling, they wouldn't let you."

"I was thinking since you're getting better that I could maybe rent an apartment in the same building as me and Jesse for you. I could hire a nurse to take care of you and everything."

Tears formed in Mrs. Stevens's eyes. "Oh, why no one but Jesse and your family has ever done something like that for me. They've tried, but I wasn't in the best state of mind. Jesse has tried to do this before, but I know he can't afford it. I couldn't let you do such a thing. It is very kind, but I couldn't."

"Do you mind me asking why?"

Jesse's mom grabbed my hand and cupped it. "Honey, you shouldn't have to worry about me. Neither should Jesse. He needs to have a proper life. That's something I could never give Jesse. Please just take care of yourself with that money. You're all banged up. Did the government do that?"

"No, I'm okay. Don't you worry about me. You're job is to just get better." I gave Jesse's mom a long hug. Jesse walked into the room and saw that we were hugging and he smiled.

"I'm sorry to leave so soon," Jesse said as he looked at his mom, "I wish we could stay longer. We just have to do a few things before you can have your day out."

I stopped hugging Jesse's mother and said goodbye. Jesse also have his mom a quick hug goodbye and we left. Jesse didn't look as stressed out about his mom anymore since she's improving.

I felt bad that Jesse's mom felt like it was her fault Jesse had the life he did."

Jesse and I drove back to the apartment in silence. There was nothing that needed to be said. It wasn't an awkward silence, it was peaceful. I was so glad that his mom was getting better and that she could leave that building and see Jesse outside of the hospital.

I just hoped that when we got her out of the hospital to visit that nothing bad would happen. I was almost certain that something bad was going to happen when we saw her today. Her improvements put at more ease.

Once we were inside of our apartment, Jesse pulled me into a long and much needed hug.

"Thank you," He pulled me close.

I questioned him. I didn't need to be thanked for anything. "For what?"

"Just for being here for me. Helping me with my mom. It really means a lot to me. I know Joey or Mikey would help but I'd rather you. You never really demand for answers you're just there for me. And that's what I need. So thank you."

His voice was raspy. He sounded so genuine and relieved. As if a huge weight was lifted off of his shoulders. I held onto Jesse tightly. I was almost expecting something bad to happen. Things were going to smoothly, what's the catch?"

A/N
Hey sorry for the not updates I'm forever. I hope you like this chapter sorry if there are typos I haven't edited it. This book is probably going to end in a few chapter. I might start another book too. But I haven't really had time. If you guys want another book just let me know. Suggest what you want it about too! Love you guys thanks for all the support with this book! It's come so far. I know I don't update as often as I'd like to but you guys are very supportive. So thank you. It truly means a lot to me.