Chapter 31

Chapter 31
~Jaelyn's point of view~

We all stood in the doorway of the apartment, unsure of what to do next.

"Aren't you going to come in?" A voice said. It sounded oddly familiar. I looked over at Jesse and his face turned red with anger.

"Get the hell out of here." Jesse growled, his hands curling in fists. He stepped into the apartment with Mikey and I trailing behind.

A man was sitting on our futon, casually leafing through a magazine. Suddenly, everything clicked. Jesse's deadbeat father was here.

"How'd you get in here?" Jesse demanded.

"Easy, I stole the key from your british friend over there. Let's talk." He tossed the key back at Mikey. Mikey caught the key and stuffed it back into his pocket.

"Get the hell out of here." Jesse repeated, trying to keep his cool.

"You're not welcome here." I said as I placed my hand on Jesse's arm. I wasn't scared of his dad, I just wanted to show Jesse that I was here for him.

I knew Jesse wouldn't try and beat the snot out of his dad like he did last time. He knew better than that. I hoped that he did atleast.

"Well Jesse, are you beating on that girl now? Wouldn't surprise me since you've beaten your own father." His dad said as he set down the magazine.

Jesse took a threatening step towards his father. I pulled at his arm like I was a child. "Don't," I whispered, it was only loud enough for Jesse to hear.

"Just leave, I don't ever want to see you again." When he spoke there wasn't any emotion. It was almost robotic.

"Mate, you need to leave. No one wants you here." Mikey motioned to the door.

"Mate, you don't have a say in any of this. None of you do!" Jesse's dad spat.

"It's my place. You need to go or I'll call the cops." I stared angerly at his father.

He knew I wouldn't call the cops. He began laughing like a maniac. "Yeah, the cops will be here in a flash! Besides doesn't it look bad that she's all banged up and you're not? They'll remember you from when you beat me. I'll win. I always win. I will squash you, Jesse."

Rage was clearly showing on Jesse's face. He spoke as calmly as he could. "I don't want anything to do with you. Get out of here. You need to go."

The look on his father's face didn't change. That smug smile was still placed on his lips. He stood up and pulled a cigarette out of his shirt picket and lit it.

"I'll leave, but we will have to talk some other time. Maybe when there aren't as many people."

"No, we won't talk another time. This isn't your choice." Jesse grabbed his father by his shirt and dragged him outside. "It's nobody else's choice but mine."

Before his father could protest, Jesse slammed the apartment door shut. Everyone was relieved. We all let out a loud sigh. I looked over at Jesse and he looked almost emotionless. I walked over to him and wtapped my arms around him. He wrapped his arms tightly around me, pulling me close.

"I think I should go." Mikey said with a fake yawn. "Sorry about all the trouble. See you guys probably tomorrow." I let go of Jesse and let Mikey out the door. We waited to let him out for awhile because we wanted to make sure Jesse's father wouldn't come back.

Once Mikey left, Jesse and I sat on the futon and watched some movies. I had my feet stretched out on Jesse's lap.

"Jess, do you think we- I mean you should check on your mom? Since your dad came to to our apartment."

"Yeah, I haven't seen her in awhile. I'll do that tomorrow. But first we have to go to the gym. Since you won the competition you get a cash prize. I haven't told you about it because they normally keep it on the downlow. That's why you haven't heard about it."

"Weird no one at work told me about it."

"They don't really know about it. I got ten thousand when I won. For Powerhouse, it all depends on how much money they make during the fights. I used my money to help get my mom into the hospital."

I looked at Jesse and smiled. He was such a caring person. He always put himself before people he cared about. The only thing that worries me was that his mother's condition was deteriorating quickly. So what will he do when she completely loses it? I don't want him to go back to the Jesse I first met. He has come so far.

"Jesse," I whispered.

"Yes Jae?" He said as he pulled his eyes away from the tv.

"Promise me something?" I asked while I pulled at my shirt nervously.

Jesse looked at me weirdly, but then he smiled and nodded. "Of course."

"Promise me that no matter what happens with your dad or mom, just anything really, that you won't go back to being the old you I first met."

Jesse grabbed my feet and pulled me ontop of him. He looked at me and smiled. His smile made his stormy eyes crinkle. He kissed my cheek.

"Jaelyn, I promse no matter what happens with anything I'll still be me. I won't be the one you knew when we first met. No matter what."

"No matter what?"

"Yes Jae, no matter what and I mean that."

I hugged Jesse so tightly. I still felt like the promise had meant nothing. I knew he meant what he said, but he can't control his reaction. I just had a terrible feeling that something bad was going to happen. I couldn't shake the feeling even with his promise.

It was almost pointless of me to ask. Something bad was bound to happen. I mean his father came to visit and he always got Jesse into trouble, so who knows what his has planned to do. Afterall, him leaving without a fight wasn't a good sign. But what does he want?

A/N
Thank you so much for all of the support! It means so much to me that you guys love this book so much! I just really appreciate everything you guys do for this book it means so much to me. I can't thank you enough. Hope you liked it! Don't forget to vote and comment. :)