Chapter 30

Chapter 30
~Jaelyn's point of view ~

I went to Powerhouse with Jesse. I needed to talk to a worker to find out where Mae lived. I had to talk to her. If I talked to her then Jesse would stay.
I did feel guilty about what I did. One of my coworkers, Janice was working the counter.

"Hey Jan! I was wondering if you could look something up for me."

Janice looked up from the computer and smiled. "Sure thing Jaelyn! What do you want me to look up?"

"I figured since Mae is a member here you'd have her address. Could you check?"

Janice looked at me questioningly. "Don't you think that she's gotten enough of you?"

"Jan, I just want to talk to her."

Janice's manicured hands flew across the keyboard. "Alright, Maelee Jones. She lives in the apartment complex down by Jimmie's diner."

**
Jesse and I drove in silence to Mae's aparment. I had tried to initiate a conversation with Jesse but he was back to his old grumpy self. Like when I had first met him.

We parked at Jimmie's diner because the apartments were right across the street. He didn't wanna pay twenty bucks to park there for no more than five minutes.

"You go. I'm gonna get a burger."

I was debating on kissing Jesse or not. I figured it'd be best if I didn't. He was still mad at me. Which I deserved.

I took a deep breath and made my way to Mae's apartment. I went to the front desk. The lady greeted me with a bright smile, her red lipstick smeared on her teeth.

"Hi! How can I help you today?" Her smile was clearly forced and her chipper tone was fake. She clearly wanted to be anywhere else but here.

"Which floor does Maelee Jones live?"

"Oh my, that's not for stangers to know!" She said in a childish tone.

I sucked some air. "Alright listen, lady. Just give me the damn room number and I'll be on my merry way."

She dropped her fake smile and chipper tone. Her voice sounded more cynical. "Listen sweetie, you need to leave."

"Give me the room number." I gritted my teeth.

She rolled her green eyes. She twisted a finger around her frizzy hair. "It'll cost you."

I handed her a dollar. "That's all you're gonna get. Spill."

She took my dollar and blew a bubble with her gum. She took her hand out of her hair and began typing. "Maelee lives in room two twenty-three. On the third floor."

Without thanking her, I went for the elevators. I pressed the button for the third floor. The doors dinged open and I made my way to Mae's apartment. I knocked on the door. Mae answered and looked at me angrily. Her face was still bruised. She looked worse than I did.

"Come here to beat the shit out of me again. You already won, Jaelyn. Don't even try to beat me up again when I'm not prepared."

"I'm not here to fight. I came to tell you that I'm sorry for what I did. I took things to far."

Mae looked at me in shock as she adjusted her sling. I hadn't notice it before. "You've got to be kidding me!" A small smile formed on her lips. "I knew you'd do this! It was just a matter of when you'd come to me."

"I didn't come here to fight with you. I just wanted to tell you that I am truly sorry for what I did. You don't have to accept what I said. I just thought I would tell you because you deserve me to tell you I'm sorry."