Call Me A Mess- Chapter 3&4

Three.

I think it was about two days later, I'd been walking in the park with Doritos, and I fell asleep in the sun. When I woke up, you were there. Sitting next to me, rested on your hands behind your back, gazing out over the lake. I turned to my side.

"Hey..." I whispered.

You didn't look at me.

"Hey. How are you feeling?"

"I dunno. Okay, I guess. You?"

"So, so."

Silence. Great. I felt my heart skip a beat. It was good seeing you again, even though as far as I remembered, you were a complete stranger. Well not a complete stranger, but a stranger. But there was something about you...

"Why are you here?" I asked, tentatively.

"I was walking by, and saw you. Figured I'd say 'hi', but you were asleep."

"Oh."

"I live in this neighbourhood too, don't worry- I wasn't stalking you." You smiled.

I laughed a little.

"Can we start over? I feel too guilty like this."

"Sure, I guess." You replied.

"Okay. Hi, I'm Bec." I extended my hand.

"Luke." That smile again. They should arrest you for that.

The handshake lingered for just a little long. But I didn't mind. It gave me time to think why this felt so oddly familiar; so right.

"How come I've never seen you around the place before?" I asked.

"I just moved here, like, two weeks ago. "

"Ah."

Silence again. God, I hated this. I wanted to remember, so bad, but I couldn't. I knew I knew you; there was something about your eyes that seemed too familiar to be a coincidence. And you had a killer smile...My thoughts were interrupted.

"I like your dog, he's really pretty."

"Oh, thanks. Yeah, I love him. He keeps me busy when I get bored, which is a lot."

"What about like, your friends?"

I paused and looked away. I didn't know how to explain this. It wasn't that I didn't have friends. Or did I?

"I'm not really that close with many people."

"Why?"

"Are you my therapist?"

"You have a therapist?"

"NO, and you're not getting the job either."

You looked down and picked at some grass. Shit. I needed to stop being like this.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that."

"I know. You're just a bit touchy with criticism." You looked up at me and smiled.

I would've taken offense to that, but I knew it was true. I was starting to get used to the fact that you knew things I didn't know you knew.

"What are you doing for the rest of the day?" You asked.

"Nothing planned."

"Guess you're stuck with me then."

I turned to lie on my back again, looking up into the sky.

"Guess so," I replied, smiled, and closed my eyes.

We spent the rest of the afternoon talking about nothing much, and playing fetch with Doritos. I had fun, I'll admit. It was starting to get dark, and you walked me home. One of my parents' cars was in the drive.