Chapter One;

"What do you think she looks like?"

"I've heard that the castle loves her, it's no wonder they've gone into a frenzy to prepare for her."

"Yes," said Mary, Queen of Scots, as she approached her two former ladies in waiting. "A great deal more than they love their own Queen." 

"Don't be ridiculous, Mary," Kenna, now Mary's sister-in-law, said as she took Mary's hand in her own and smiled. "All of France loves you, you're an excellent Queen."

"Exactly, Mary," Said Lola, the mother of Mary's step-son, "All of France loves you. Who is to say all of France loves her?"

"How can they not when she is all the people rave about?" Greer had appeared beside her Scottish Queen, a troubled expression on her young face. "And it is no wonder, four countries and the Princess of Spain? She is even allied with Elizabeth."

"Elizabeth?" Mary turned to face her dear friend. "Does Francis know this?"

"Surely Mary, Francis wouldn't allow the ally of England to touch French soil if he didn't trust them." assured Kenna, still holding Mary's hand.

"Ladies," called a male voice. All four woman turned to see Sebastian, Francis' half-brother, and Lady Kenna's husband.

"Darling, you've been at court longer than all of us," said Kenna as she abandoned being by Mary's side to run to her husband.

"Yes, I have. Why?"

"Well," began Mary as she turned around to face him. "This Alaina girl, just exactly who is she? And does Francis know she is allied with Elizabeth?"

Bash chuckled at Mary's questions. "Relax Mary," he said, "Alaina is a good Queen, and she happens to be France's ally as well. You needn't worry unless you cross her that is. Just, be much kinder to Francis while she is here, and stay clear of her ladies. I must warn you, she is far much worse than Catherine."

"Oh great, I didn't think you could get any worse than Catherine." said Lola.

"Well, Catherine had a hand in raising her, so a little of Catherine rubbed off on her," he explained. "It's only if you cross her or do something she deems suspicious. Other than that, she is probably the one person you wish to be on your side."

"Are you saying I should convince her to become Scotland's ally?"

"If you wish for the war between your's and Elizabeth's country to stop, she will have a way," Bash told her. "But Mary, I must tell you, it will not be easy. You are a woman, a married one at that."

"Is she not married herself?" asked Kenna, curiosity bubbling in the pit of her stomach.

"No," replied Bash a little bit more quietly. "She never married, but that is why Mary will have a harder time gaining Alaina as an ally. You married to protect your country. She was born to rule one and was given three more. And because her uncle, King Philip II of Spain, does not have any heirs, he has announced her as his successor."

"But if she is an ally to France, surely she's willing to submit to being one of Scotland?"

"Mary, Francis is Alaina's dearest friend. She is solely France's ally because of him."

"So what you are saying is that in order to gain her as an ally and save my people, I must be seen as Francis' wife, but also come off as an independent Queen?"

"You can do it, Mary," said Lola as she reached out to touch her friend's arm and offer a warm smile. "We all believe you can."

"And if you need us," added Greer, "We will be most willing to oblige."