Chapter Fourteen;

"Sister," she looked up from the letter she had been writing. "What can I do for you?"

"I have a favor to ask of you, dearest sister," Jane sat down in the nearest chair close to Alaina. "No, it isn't for me, it's actually for someone else." She then added at the sight of her sister's expression.

"And what is it that is being asked of me?" Alaina slipped the quill back into the inkpot she had been using and clasped her hands together so that she could rest her chin on them.

"You've heard the news about Lady Castleroy, the queen's lady?"

"Ah yes," she replied with a smile. "Her husband funded the attack against the castle, yes I am quite familiar with this. Do go one."

"She had nothing to do with it really, nor did her husband, you see?"

"I see," replied Alaina in her most sarcastic tone ever.

"You see, it was all a setup. They believed the money was going to fund a school, you see?"

"Jane, just get to the point," Alaina sat back in her chair. "I've been away from my court for far too long, and there is only so much a reagent can do. I must get back to this letter immediately."

"Right, right," she said as she fussed with her riding gloves. "Well, it's just... Lady Castleroy has been forced to leave court and all her assets have been seized... Certainly, since you are not a French subject, you can give her work within your own ladies?"

"Oh please," Kenna appeared at Alaina's side. "She is my dearest friend and I've seen the state she is currently in, it isn't right for a lady of noble blood."

"Am I to employ every single one of Mary's ladies now?" Alaina asked herself.

"No," replied Anne from the corner where she sat with her embroidery.

"Greer is a wonderful woman, and a hard worker too," Kenna said as she got down on her knees and began to beg. "Please, please, please?"

"Kenna?"

"Yes, your majesty?"

"Are you a child or a high-born lady?"

"Forgive me, but this is my friend. I would do anything to see her out of that awful place."

Alaina turned her head to look at Kenna. "Is it really that awful?"

"The worst, your majesty," she said. "Even pigs live in better filth."

Behind Alaina, Natalie burst out into a fit of laughter which made Alaina smile as she looked away from Kenna. "Very well," she said as she sat forward. "Send for Lady Castleroy. I shall find her a suitable place among us."

"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!" Kenna squealed as she jumped to her feet and threw her arms around Alaina. "You're the best!" she exclaimed as she kissed her cheek. "I'll go at once!"

"Shut up, Natalie!" said Alaina once the doors to her chambers closed. "Or I'll make them both your responsibility."

"You're not actually serious about this," Anne said as she stood up. "Alaina, Greer is Mary's lady!"

"Former lady," replied her sister as she twisted in her chair to sneer at Anne. "Thank you, Alaina. I will never forget this."

"No," replied Alaina once her sister was halfway across the room. "Of course not."

*****

"You cease to amaze me," Francis said later that evening as he joined Alaina for short ride on horseback. "Though I must admit, I'm rather upset I didn't think of it first."

"I think Kenna is as well," she replied with a look back to see both Greer and Kenna riding side by side. "But she is happy, and Greer seems most grateful."

"I heard Mary is furious."

"Yes, well that's what happens when you fail your people," Alaina said. "It is only a matter of time before I must find Lola a place amongst my ladies as well."

"Lola is John's mother," said Francis. "She is safe as long as I am alive."

"Do you truly believe that?" Alaina asked him. "Do you truly believe any single one of your family is safe as long as you live?"

"I'd like to," he replied.

"Wouldn't we all?" she shifted in her saddle. "The thing is that none of us are safe, not even I."

"You've but one enemy, yet you are not safe?"

"Some enemies disguise themselves as friends," her lips curved into a smile as she spoke. "And I never declared Mary my enemy."

"No, but at this rate, neither one of you are on the path to forming an alliance."

"If she'd quit acting like a child, I'd be more than willing to help her."

It was Francis' turn to smile as he looked at Alaina. "From my point of view, you're both acting like children."

"Am I at least the older one dangling the toy the younger one wishes to play with?"

"Oh most definitely so," he replied with a laugh. "Quite cruel of you really, you used to get on well with my siblings when we were younger."

"Your siblings weren't stubborn," she replied. "Well, except for Claude, but that was because Catherine spoiled her rotten. I do miss your eldest sister, however."

"Is she not married to your uncle?"

"You're right," she turned in her saddle. "Good God, I believe that really does make us family now."

"Speaking of family," he glanced back to see how far Greer and Kenna were and then turned back to Alaina. "Have you given it any more thought?"

"Francis," Alaina lowered her voice. "No, and I mean it."

Who else wants a Fraina baby??? 🙋🙋🙋