Chapter Twenty-Nine;

Time had passed since the wedding uniting Sebastian and Alaina after so many years. Shortly a month after their marriage, Alaina departed from France to see to matters in Egypt and to visit her people. Now that the weather was warmer in France, she was due to return any moment.

"Do you see her?" Mary peered around, her eyes shielded from the blinding sun in hopes for at least a tiny glimpse of Alaina's party.

"No," replied Francis as he kept his eyes on a certain part of the woods where a wolf waited patiently just beyond their view.

"She was always one to be fashionably late," Bash appeared beside his brother, fixing the cuffs of his sleeves and quickly smiling at Mary. "I believe that is her now."

They turned to the right to see men in armor holding a tapestry bearing the empress' crest. Beyond those men rode four ladies dressed in crimson riding cloaks, their hoods pulled up. A carriage followed behind them. And behind that rode the empress atop her dappled grey stallion, her wolf now at her side and guard pulling up the rear.

"I have a feeling she hates carriages," Mary muttered as the party came to a halt just in front of them.

"She only rides in them if she must," Bash stood up straight as he smoothed the wrinkles from his clothes, doing his best to seem presentable to his wife.

"Actually," Francis was smiling as he watched his older brother fiddle nervously with his garments. "She prefers horseback because it gives her a way to escape in case of an ambush."

"I can understand and respect her reason then," replied Mary as she too looked over at Sebastian. "My, you would think they were meeting for the first time."

Bash scowled realizing she and Francis were laughing at him. He dropped his hands to the side, yet he still couldn't shake his desire to fuss with his attire.

"Majesty," Mary and Francis greeted Alaina before Bash did. "My, I did not realize!" Mary's sudden tone of surprise caught Bash off guard. "You're with child?"

"Why were you riding on horseback, you know it's not safe," Francis wrapped his arm around her waist to support the empress as she suddenly lost her footing.

"Come, let's get her inside immediately and send word for a doctor," she added to a girl with brilliant red curls that had been behind Alaina.

*****

"You mustn't be so foolish," Sebastian told Alaina as he brushed back a few strands of hair that clung to her forehead. "What if you lost the baby?"

"I didn't mean to worry you," she replied faintly with a weak smile curving her lips. "The carriage was rather stuffy, and I couldn't necessarily walk, now could I?"

"No," he leaned forward to press his lips gently to her forehead. "But you should have sent word. Alaina had I known I would have returned to your side instead of staying here in France."

"I know," she sighed as she placed her hands on his face and rubbed his cheeks. "But all my children have been born in France, I do not wish to change that."

"One day you just might have to," he was smiling, his hand now rubbing her large stomach. "Our children may not give you say in where they want to be born."

"No, I dare say, they won't. Nearly had this one on the way, but after a stern talking to, he reconsidered. Didn't like the idea of being born at sea."

"How can you jest in a time like this?"

She removed her hands from his face and laid back against the cushions. "Because I can not bear the thought of losing another child."

Silence swallowed them whole as they stared into each other's eyes, pain and tears fill Alaina's. Bash sighed softly, his hand slipping into her's and slowly raising them to his lips.

Her attention was removed from him when the door to her bedchamber opened and the red-haired young lady announced the arrival of the Scottish queen.

"How are you feeling?" Was the first thing Mary asked as she entered the room to find Bash kissing his wife's head and slowly rising to his feet to leave the two women alone. She flashed him a kind smile as he made his was out the room and then turned back to the empress in her white chemise staring at the fire.

"I am well," she said when the chamber doors closed behind her husband. "Tired, stupid, but well."

Mary said nothing at first as she moved to sit behind Alaina. "It was risky to ride on horseback in your condition, but so was traveling."

"All my children have been born in France," she tilted her head, her blue eyes reflecting the dancing flames. "France will always be my home and I want it to be the home of my children as well."

"I suppose I can understand that," Mary said as she smiled and rubbed Alaina's hand. "Although Scotland is my country, I would feel like a foreigner if I ever returned."

"How is Scotland?"

"Scotland is well, thanks to your troops and the word to Elizabeth."

She smiled, "Yes, she is no doubt fuming about that."

"And no doubt about Catherine too."

"Oh right, Francis sent word about that, but gave little detail."

Mary smiled and shook her head. "It's unbelievable what Catherine won't do for power."

"Have you ever considered that she is scared? She is only a woman after all. She is not like us, Mary, she was not born a queen. Had she not given the king so many children, imagine where she would be."

"I know," she replied softly. "She means well, that I know, but she goes about it all wrong. Kidnapping, Elizabeth?"

"Yes, I do suppose you're right. But sometimes even the strongest of warriors have weaknesses. Catherine's being her children. She no doubt viewed you as a threat after what took place here."

"And you?"

"What about me?"

"Did you ever see me as a threat or downfall to France?"

"Never a threat, you're too weak to be one, no offense," she smiled.

"I am very offended!" Cried Mary, but she could not resist the urge to smile back.

"The downfall of France? Possibly, you were behaving like a girl instead of like a queen. Perhaps it is why I truly told you about Francis' plan."

"Yes, but I would still gain an ally had the two of you gone through with it."

"And the protestants would have been happy to have a king much like them, but for the Catholics? They would never be happy."

"Are we ever?" She asked with a small laugh.

"Can I even consider myself one? My nations are of all different religions and I allow it."

"But you have the Pope's approval."

"I always wondered why that was, actually."

"It doesn't matter now, what matters is that you get plenty of rest. I hear you baby will be due anytime soon, now."

"Yes," Alaina rubbed her belly, her gaze drifting toward her stomach and then snapping back toward Mary. "When will you and Francis produce an heir?"

Mary stood up, a smile slowly tugging her lips up. She said nothing as she curtsied and left the room, her smile growing larger with one last look to the confused empress.