Chapter Nineteen;

"Please tell me your uncle has already sent him men!"

Alaina sat up in her bed, rubbing the sleep from her eyes while Francis paced frantically back and forth, the doors to her chambers now shutting.

"Yes," she replied with a yawn. "They wait for my word at my mother's- though her husband is none too pleased with their guest."

"Good, good," Francis stopped pacing for a second. "And your ladies, are they trained enough to defend the castle if anything is to happen?"

Alaina sat forward, no longer feeling drowsy, "Oh dear God, she's sent an army?"

"It's a possibility, but Conde has gathered his army and hundreds of protestant men."

Alaina rose up from her bed, her bare feet touching the cold stone floor causing a chill to run up her spine. On her bed, Peter, her tamed gray wolf, rolled over onto his stomach and stared at her.

"She'd be a fool to back him," It was now Alaina, with her arms crossed over her chest, who paced about the room. "This would jeopardize our alliance, she wouldn't... would she?"

"I do not know, but I do know that I am very grateful you are here." He closed the distance between her and took her hands in his. "I am very sorry that this happening, to you especially. I know Elizabeth is dear to you."

"She was," she whispered softly, the hurt clear in her voice as she gazed down at their joined hands. "But we are rulers, after all, and as rulers, we must put our people and country above friendships. If she is backing Conde in this, I will never forgive her for encouraging such a treacherous scheme." 

Francis pulled her into a warm embrace, holding her close to his chest as much as he possibly could without hurting her. "As I have said countless times before, I am still here for you, Alaina," he told her as he pressed his lips gently to the top of her head. 

"Well you have to be," she forced a smile as she looked up to meet his surprised gaze, "we are family." 

"Ah," he smiled too, though she was sure his was genuine, unlike her's. "Speaking of family, I've ordered most of mine to leave the castle." 

"Is that so?" she asked as she rested her head against his chest. 

"Yes," he replied while running his fingers through her hair. "Except one person." 

"Your mother?" 

"How could you have ever guessed that?" Alaina laughed softly as she lifted her head off his chest. 

"We both know your mother," she said as she peered into his eyes. "She puts her children above everything, even France." 

"Mmm," she noticed his eyes slowly lowering to look at her lips. "Have you heard anything from the Pope?" 

"Changing the subject, are we?" Alaina sighed and pulled away from his embrace. "I would think an annulment was the least thing on your mind with all that seems to be going on."

"I can't deny, it was, but when I'm around you... It's been months since I've shared my bed with anyone."

"Francis, I was just in your bed some days ago!" she turned around to face him, "You were just unconscious to know it."

"Alaina, that is not what I meant," he said taking a step forward. 

She knew what he meant, but she didn't get the chance to tell him that. There was a knock on her door to inform her that just outside it Sebastian waited for word with the King. 

"Send him in," Francis ordered as he turned from Alaina to greet his brother. 

"So glad you just let anyone in while I'm indecent," she muttered while walking over to the chair near the fire where her cloak laid. 

"Really, Alaina?" Francis turned back to her as Bash entered the chamber. 

"I'm only joking," she said while wrapping herself in the fur-trimmed cloak. "But it would be nice to get dressed, must you two be in my chamber at this precise moment?" 

"Nice to see you too, Alaina," Bash said. "Looking lovely," he added as he looked her up and down and smiled. 

"Stop it," she hissed as she drew the cloak tighter around her. "Honestly, I know you've both seen me... but it was some time ago. I'm much more a woman now than I was all those years ago." 

"Yes, you've had three children since then." 

"Out!" she shouted at Francis. "Get out! The both of you!" 

"Don't worry, it'll only be a moment. I came to inform Francis that Mary has just returned and it's urgent that she sees you." 

His features changed at the mention of Mary, Francis no longer had the joyous look on his face he once had a minute ago. "What is it?" he asked. "Why had she returned?" 

"Didn't even know she left," said Alaina. "Oh... you meant her as family, also... right."

Francis turned to look back at Alaina, his expression telling her that he did not find her comment at all amusing. "Send word to your mother immediately," he told her. "And your ladies, it's best to get prepared. If Mary has returned with urgent news, this means something is terribly wrong."

"I understand," she bowed her head. "I'll send Anne with word as soon as her mare can take her. She's the only one skilled enough to get there in one piece, plus she is also familiar with France." 

"Good," he said and then turned to Bash. "Let's go see what Mary has to say."