09. I Sound Like A Teenage Girl.

"The word that's been floating around in your head," Queenie continued, "you've been using it when you think about Mr. Scamander."

"I-I don't think I should really say," it hadn't even occurred to Myra that the Legilimens was also tuned into her thoughts as well as everyone else's.

"It causes you pain when you think about it. But whatever an Echo is makes you happy at the same time. How is that possible?"

Myra flinched and ushered the other blonde through the door, "could you stop reading my mind?"

"People are easier to read when they're hurting," Queenie told her as she closed the door behind them, "Ever since he tried to leave you've been broadcasting."

"Broadcasting?" the wandmaker asked incredulously, making her way over to a door next to the one they had just come through.

The blue eyed witch opened the door to reveal a bedroom. She walked right past a desk covered in baskets of metals and jars full of dragon scales to the bed on the opposite side of the room where she lowered the two sleeping dragons down onto a pillow.

Viride, the only one still awake, scuttled down her arm from where she'd been perched on her mother's shoulder and settled down, nuzzling her head between the bodies of her siblings. Aurum twisted in her sleep, only settling back down when she had one wing laid over the others.

Myra smiled at her dragons and backed out of the room, shutting the door as soon as she was back in the main room, "Are you going to tell me or am I going to just assume what an Echo is?"

The blonde spun around to face where the other woman was sat on the loveseat, "Why do you even want to know?"

Queenie tilted her head at the witch on the other side of the room, "Because I want to help."

"And why would you want to help?"

"When was the last time you had someone to lean on like you do on the idea of an Echo?"

Myra's thoughts immediately turned to her mum, who she had only been able to contact through letters for quite some time.

"Your mother?" Queenie clarified, even though she hadn't said it aloud.

"Yes..." Myra treaded over to the loveseat slowly, still doubtful that Queenie could be trusted, and sat down, back erect as she picked up her whittling knife and the Hawthorn wand.

She began carving tediously in hope that it would keep her mind off of Newt being her Echo. Sadly, it only kept her mind racing on how much she would reveal to the Legilimens, which indeed did give her the information she had been wanting.

"You love him," Queenie realized.

"Of course I do!" Myra through her hands up, "He's my Echo!"

"I loved him before I even met him!" The blonde buried her head in the palms of her hands, "Merlin, I sound like a teenage girl."

"Oh," Queenie let out a small sound of surprise at the wandmaker's confession.

"I guess it wouldn't be appropriate to use a memory charm on you," Myra joked pitifully.

"Probably not," Queenie smiled a small smile back, "You'd think about it then I'd know about it."

"I suppose it'd be nice to have a human to talk to on the same continent as me," Myra thought, which meant that Queenie heard it.

"Then talk," the witch told her with a kind smile

"Well, there are five lines of Echos in the world," the blue eyed witch began, "I'm just the latest of one of them."

"But I thought Newt was the Echo?"

"He's my Echo," she clarified, "the legacy of Echos descends through the females, otherwise it's just random, nothing could have predicted that he would be an Echo."

Queenie motioned for her to go on, "I knew he was my Echo when I first saw him, he's got this kind of... aura surrounding him, it's quite pretty to look at."

"And he's a lot shyer than I thought he would be, but it's cute."

"Why haven't you told Newt about him being your Echo?"

"What would you do if someone came up to you and told you that you were destined to be with them until the two of you died?" Myra asked sarcastically, making a particularly harsh dip in the wood.

"Oh."

"You seem to be saying that a lot."

"This entire situation is surprising."

"Anyway, my entire life I've been told these stories about how great it is to have an Echo. And then.. he just... It never occurred to me that he might not want to stick around."

"Then give him a reason to want to."

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"Be yourself."

Myra rolled her eyes and was about to respond when the door to the Goldstein apartment opened. Tina poked her head through the door and looked around for the other two women.

When she spotted them she asked, "Do you two want coco?"

"Sure!" Queenie beamed, "How about you Miss Kegley?"

"Myra," She said softly, "and I'm always up for coco."

The three of them walked back into the Goldstein apartment, a silent agreement between the two blondes that Tina wasn't to know about the Newt-is-Myra's-Echo thing. The three of them put together a line of hot chocolate making; Tina heating up the milk in the mugs, Queenie stirring in the chocolate, and Myra putting in a handful of marshmallows that looked as if they were homemade.

Tina placed two of the five mugs on a tray and carried them into the room that Newt and Jacob were in, "I thought you might like a hot drink?"

Myra and Queenie sat down at the table, sipping their hot coco. They stayed that way even when Tina stormed back in muttering something about insufferable wizards. They stayed that way, quietly sipping their hot chocolate, for about five minutes before the three of them noticed the explicit silence coming from the room that Newt and Jacob were supposed to be in.

Tina was the first to jump up to check on them. The blondes were quick to follow. The witch flung open the door only to find that there wasn't even a trace that the two men were anywhere.

The only things left were rumpled bedsheets and a tray with two mugs, one empty and one full.

"But we made them coco..."

I hold a lot of respect for Queenie, so I couldn't help but plan this chapter since I started writing Echos. Also, I was looking her up to see what Ilvermorney house she was in (Pukwudgie, like me), and I found out that her wand (which also happens to be my wand (mostly because it's pretty)) was made out of rosewood, but nothing was known about the wood. Welp, that was a fun fact. Have a great day.

~ Aria