15. Some Proof Would Be Nice

"Newt?" Myra called after the brunette, causing him to pause and circle back to face her, "Would you mind getting my bag? I set it next to the door."

"I-" her Echo hesitated, half turned towards her and half turned away, "Alright."

The blonde sat down on the stool that Newt had previously been on and looked around at the creatures around her. There was the octopus creature floating above her, and to her left was a enclosure that had a creature that looked like a cross between a tiger and a pufferfish.

There was a tug on one of Myra's socks. The witch looked down to find the occamy that she had pushed back into it's nest and then protected from an Immobilis spell.

"Hello," the blonde whispered down at the tiny thing, lowering her hand down to pick it up.

She settled the feathered creature down on her lap where it then began to stick it's head in her coat pocket, getting smaller and smaller until it was happily hidden in her pocket, spinning around so that only it's head was sticking out of the fabric. A laugh escaped her mouth at the unusual act.

Myra reached out a finger to pet the tiny thing's head, but all she got was a sharp nip on the finger from the little thing, "Okay, no petting it is."

"Here's your bag," a voice came from in front of her and she looked up at her Echo.

"Thanks," The blonde grinned at him, "Now, can I prove to you that I am in fact, Myra Kegley?"

The witch peeked into her bag as she waited for Newt to stop rubbing his neck sheepishly and actually answer her, "Some proof would be nice."

"Alright then," she bent down and whistled sharply into her bag before calling down one last thing, "Would you mind grabbing my whittling knife and the wand on the table?"

A tiny roar came from within the bag, "Thank you!"

Myra began to feel the occamy in her pocket begin to slip out because of the angle at which she had bent over and quickly moved one of her hands to push it back to where it was. She leant back and held the bag away from her.

Three blurs shot out of the bag and into the air. Viride was the first one out, taking to zooming around the case and inspecting everything in it. Noctis was the second one out and as soon as he saw Newt, the Ignis loquitur zoomed over to the wizard and hovered beside him, nuzzling his little head into Newt's shoulder.

Aurum was the last, having been the one to grab her mother's things for her. She set the knife and almost competed wand in the blonde's lap before going off to greet Tina, who was still looking at the creatures around the front of Newt's home.

Myra looked up at her Echo from where she sat, her hands beginning to move rapidly as if the wand were willing her to finish it as quickly as possible, "I think that should be accurate proof," her hands began to move faster, carving more and more of the handle at a rapid pace.

Newt blushed in what the blonde assumed was embarrassment, "Yeah... That should be enough."

The witch grinned amusedly at him, "So how did you know what Echos were in the first place?"

"I- Well, we were taught about them during school," Myra's eyebrows shot up.

"You said that, Defense Against the Dark Arts. I knew that the headmaster knew about us, but I didn't know we had our own lesson. What have they been teaching you?"

"That Echos are immortal-"

"That's not true," Myra lifted her hand pointedly for a moment, "As I told you, we're just mostly immune to death. Both my Echo and myself have to be killed at the same time for it to be permanent."

"Your Echo?"

The blonde wasn't all that surprised at his question, after all, that was quite confusing, "Both of us are Echos, we both get the benefits-minus the tracking vision and the aura-it's just that the gene itself goes through first born females, the other half is random. Sort of."

"So, what other awful things have they told you about me?" she teased, not really worried about whatever he'd been told.

"That I shouldn't trust you."

Myra froze, "Really? They assume that we're all horrible because of the Black's way of thinking?"

"Black?"

"Yes."

"As in Druella Black?"

"Well, really it's her grandmother that's the Echo, but they're not exactly the nicest people. Grindelwald supporters."

"They tend to be connected to pretty horrible people, I can't be sure if that's bad luck that their souls are connected to them or if it's that they're actually bad people.

"So, you're not going to betray us?"

Myra's face saddened, "If I wanted to I would have done it quite a while ago."

"Instead you helped me."

"Yes, yes I did. And I don't regret it."

Hogwarts isn't the biggest fan of Echos apparently, and their incorrect teachings will create a little more tension in the coming chapters, but hopefully all will be resolved soon. Have a wonderful day, and I'll see you on Monday! :)
~ Aria