Chapter 1 - Memories.

Unknown female P.O.V

I had known James Buchanan Barnes for all my life. And I could tell him every single detail about his undiscovered past. Problem was, he couldnt remember me. He wasnt "Bucky" anymore. He was the brainwashed Winter Soldier, a deadly assassin killing after orders from HYDRA.
Yesterday all I could think about was the way his eyes pierced through my soul, making me weak in the knees. Bucky wasnt Bucky. But I saw hope. I saw him in there, for a split second I saw him. But the Winter Soldier quickly took control of him.

I laid on the hotel bed, and picked up a photo I had of me, Steve and Bucky as kids. I studied it, and just by looking at it, you could see that I was the odd one out. I giggled as I put it back.
Those two boys had always been my lifesavers as a child. Protecting me from the bullies who picked on me for my.. powers. Even though, Steve wasnt much of a protector, he was kind of like my therapist. I hadnt talked to him since I came back, and I wasnt planning to either.

Steve was probably clueless about Bucky being alive. Afterall, Bucky was wearing his mask most of the time. Something felt off to me though. I felt like Steve wasnt Steve anymore, he was someone else. He'd fallen in love again, and it had ruined him. Thats why I wasnt gonna make an effort to meet him.

Thinking of that, I felt a presence near me. I could tell it was my "friend" that I helped last night. She was about to open the door, but I quickly opened it right before she knocked.
She jumped back a little bit, startled by the opening.
"Sorry." I said.
"Hi! And it's okay." She smiled.
"Wanna come in or..?" I asked.
"No, no.. I just wanted to thank you. What you did out there saved my life." She said.
I gave her a hug before telling her to come in for a coffee. Because I knew, that the Winter Soldier was coming for me after what happened.
She sat down in my couch and I gave her a mug of coffee.

"So.. Who are you, really?" She asked me.
"Well, I wasnt the one almost getting killed by The Winter Soldier yesterday. So how about we start with your name?" I replied.
"My name's Grace." She answered, smiling to me.
"I'm Caroline." I said as I reached out my hand.
"What were you doing, confronting Buck-No I mean the Winter Soldier yesterday?" I continued.
"I want to take him down." She answered.
When she said that I felt anger.
"No. Do not." I replied, quickly.
"Why? He wants to KILL Steve! We cant let him!" She argumented against me.
"No. Just dont. The Winter Soldier isnt who you think he is." I said, feeling anger.
"If he's NOT a deadly assassin, then who IS he? An angel? A fucking saviour to the goddamn world?" She asked me, aggressively.
"No. He may not be an angel, and not a saviour of the world. However, he was the saviour of me." I answered, truly.
"Excuse you? Winter Soldier doesnt save ANYONE! Fucking stop protecting that asshole!" She yelled.
I felt anger building up inside of me as I locked eyes with her. Mine were a fiery red right now and hers a striking green.

"I am NOT talking about the Winter Soldier himself. I am talking about the MAN stuck inside of him. James Buchanan Barnes." I replied. Her jaw dropped.
"James Buchanan Barnes? Isnt that...? Steve's be-" She started I cut her off.
"Yes it is." I said.
"But I think its time for you to go." I said as I showed her the door.
She went out. Without a single word. All I felt was frustration and anger. Nobody knew, and nobody saw Bucky behind the mask.
However, I was going to do this.

I was going to get Bucky out of there. I wasnt scared of death, so if I failed... I would've atleast suffered a worthy death for my one and only.