Chapter fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

I could feel time pass, too much time. Hadn't the Avengers found me yet? Would they ever come? Did they give up on me, still believing that I worked for the Hydra?

Each day there was one Hydra agent that brought in a newspaper. When they weren't torturing me they kept me locked in a room. The whole thing covered in cameras so that the Avengers could watch me suffer.

There were speakers all around the room so that there was no escaping.

No escaping the words,

No escaping orders.

"Longing. Help. Twelve. Sunset. Homecoming. Ten. Single. Power. Blue. Work." The speakers all around me boomed.

With each word I fell closer and closer to the ground. Clutching my head. Begging the words to stop.

Please.

Please.

Please.

Once the words stopped I was no longer myself. My suit had changed, now a black Hydra symbol on the chest. My mask had extended to cover my mouth and my eyes, though I could still see.

"Are you ready to comply?"

"Yes sir." I stood up straight, ready for my orders.

"Attract the attention of the Avengers, then capture Iron Man and kill Captain America."

"Yes sir." I nodded and the door unlocked.

I exited the building and flew to downtown New York. Then I shot at random buildings, the more people killed the better.

Please stop. I begged myself. This isn't me.

"Step away from the kid." Someone boomed once I started toward a little child and their mother.

I smirked, this was so easy, so simple.

I threw the mother and her child to the side and of course Captain America jumped to the side to grab them before they hit the ground. He spoke encouraging words to them then told them to run.

Please don't do this, please. Please don't hurt them, they're friends. Please stop. They saved my life!

Do you know what it feels like to have to beg yourself not to do something? If you don't, it sucks. If you do then, wow, you have a screwed up life, much like myself.

"I always knew you worked for Hydra." Captain spat.

I wanted to respond that I wasn't, that they were making me do these things, but I couldn't. Like, I couldn't talk at all. My mask wouldn't allow me to speak.

"She doesn't." Iron Man spoke up. "Isn't that right?" He seemed to be asking me.

I didn't answer, I slowly reached for my knives.

"This might be another 'Winter soldier' incident." Hawkeye whispered to Black Widow.

"Possible." She didn't waver, though her eyes flashed in a sort of hidden fear.

"What are your orders?" Hawkeye yelled to me.

My grip tightened on my knives. My orders were to capture and kill, nothing else.

I launched myself at Captain America, he put his shield up to defend himself. I kicked it to the side and attacked him.

One after one, I took down the Avengers.

Stop! Stop it! Don't hurt them! I screamed internally.

Even in my state of mind, I couldn't bring myself to kill Captain America.