Chapter forty three

CHAPTER FORTY THREE

I cleared the screens and brought up the blueprints for them to analyze, then I headed to the lab to check something, or at least that's what I told the team. Actually, I headed down to the lab and immediately set my laptop back up, I went to a few minutes before the time on the cameras and watched the kitchen and living room cameras.

Without meaning to, I flinched every time Hunter's fist came down, every kick, I remembered having to stitch those wounds. Every. Single. One.

"What the—" Bruce appeared in the doorway.

I launched at my laptop, shut down the cameras, and slammed it shut.

"What was that? Elizabeth what was that?" He questioned, stepping toward me.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"This is not the time for that. Elizabeth, Tell me what that was. Right now."

"It was nothing." I lied.

"Come on. You're getting x-rayed." He grabbed my good arm.

"What? No way." I yanked it away.

"Unless you tell me what that was then there's no other option."

"No other option for what?" Dad appeared.

"Nothing. Bruce, it's nothing." I backed away from him.

"Either tell me or come with me to get x-rayed." Bruce crossed his arms.

"I know you're trying to be super protective and like, fatherly or something but trust me, it doesn't matter."

"Yeah, acting fatherly is my job, what're you talking about?" Dad looked around.

"Nothing." I shot.

"Nothing? Is that what you call it? That was definitely not nothing." Bruce spoke up.

"If I let you x-ray me can you keep it like doctor-patient confidentiality and not tell anyone else?"

He slowly nodded, then sent Dad away.

"Fine if you'll shut up then I'll let you x-ray me." I crossed my arm.

He dragged me toward our special x-ray machine, the one that can see through clothes, and I stepped in.

When it was over I stepped out, Bruce was already examining my bones. He mouth was hung open, his eyes widened.

He opened his mouth to say something but I stopped him.

"Don't. I already told you, that was the past, it doesn't matter anymore."

"Of course it matters you were—"

"Don't say it. Now do you see why I was so shocked when I heard that he wasn't my real father?"

He nodded, "This is horrible, wait, this one doesn't make sense. You should have a scar right there." He motioned to a spot around my hairline.

"Hunter knows how to not leave a mark when he doesn't want to. If you don't mind, I would like to get back to work, it that okay with you?"

"Go ahead." He nodded.

I walked back to my seat and opened my laptop, pulling up blueprints of projects that never were.

Without meaning to I zeroed in on one specific blueprint, I started to fiddle with scraps lying around, placing them into my bad arm and somehow piecing them together.

An alert came across my laptop, red and blinking.

Hunter was trying to get in. Again.

With a huff I blocked the attack, working twice as slow with only one arm.

"What's this one?" Bruce walked over with the x-ray of my skull.

He pointed toward a spot in my forehead.

I let out a small laugh, "Uh, it's from the time Hunter smashed my head into the counter, it's a piece of granite, I didn't know it was still up there... huh."

He gaped at me.

"Thought I got all of it out." I scratched my head.

"Got what out?" Dad walked in, a coffee in hand.

"A super annoying splinter." I spoke without missing a beat.

"That sucks... How'd you get a splinter?"

"Not sure... I think it was me messing around with some bolts and some little sucker must've stabbed me." I shrugged, then flinched from the sudden pain in my shoulder. "Remind me not to do that again." I groaned.

"I don't think you'll need a reminder." He chuckled and sat down.

"How's the team doing? Do they know when they're going to attack yet?"

"As soon as they finish their plan they'll go. You should stay here with Bruce, we won't be needing a code green."

I nodded, "I'm fine with that."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Can I just say: OMG 4.8K READS!!! THAT'S INSANE!!!

You guys are absolutely amazing, and I couldn't ask for better readers. 

So, if you guys are into some more detailed stuff, go check out some of my friend's profile (@LeavenGreenleaf) she has some great stuff.

And, as always.

COMMENT

STAR

SHARE

ADD

AND ALL THAT JAZZ