Chapter fifty five

CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE

At the speed I jog, I should not have been surprised when I finally found myself on Loki's street, yet I was.

I was so caught up in myself that I didn't even notice the music in my earbuds as I yanked them out, or the two men faking a smoke break in the ally just a few feet from where I was standing, or the fact that I had been being tailed since I left the tower.

Mentally, I cursed myself and changed course slightly so I could get as far away from Loki's hiding place as I could so he wouldn't get hurt if a fight broke out.

"FAITH, Get me out of here. What's the best route?"

"Take the next left." She answered back calmly. "Would you like me to contact Mr. Stark?"

"Yes." I breathed.

The insistent ringing filled my earpiece, almost a taunt to how hopeless my situation was at the moment.

"Come on, please pick up. Please pick up." I breathed, picking up my pace and pulling my hood up.

They were beginning to get closer.

"Get in contact with Friday, make sure Dad is okay."

"Of course. Would you like me to launch the suit?"

"Yeah, send it to Loki's place. Keep him inside. Keep me updated on its status."

"Sure thing."

"Thanks a million hun."

After a few more turns onto slightly more populated streets, Faith spoke again.

"Loki seems to be pretty agitated with the suit and is now demanding to speak with you."

"Has he tried to leave yet?"

"At first, yes, but as soon as he was informed that you requested him to remain in his location, he stopped struggling."

"Okay, good. Can you do a quick scan of the premises? Anyone within a mile that's too suspicious turn them away... or worse. If the 'or worse' option makes an appearance, then scan their vitals and send them to Shield. Hopefully Shield will get the right idea and we can plant a bug explaining it was to protect an asset. Nothing more detailed."

"Understood. Loki is becoming increasingly more agitated, demanding to speak with you."

"All right, put him through. I don't have the glasses on me, so we can't make it video, but let's make sure the speakers are good... yeah?"

"Of course Elizabeth. Connecting in 3... 2... 1."

"Hey Lo, what's wrong?" I ducked into another street, unable to help the soft smile from gracing my lips.

"Lady Elizabeth." His equally soft voice replied. "What is going on? Why may I not leave?"

"Everything's going to be fine. There's a crew or something that's following me and I got worried they might come after you so my suit's there to protect you."

"You are being followed? Where are you?"

"Lo, it's okay. I can deal with this stuff. Faith's helping me get to a safe spot and I'll come to visit you as soon as possible after this blows over."

"Promise?"

"I promise. But, you have to promise not to leave the house until Faith says you can, okay? I need to make sure you stay safe."

"And I, you. I will not use my powers if you wish it so, but I have my knives still. I can protect you. Please allow me to protect you." Desperation seeped from his voice.