Chapter 1 // The Prelude

I was nervous. Damn I was shaking that's how flustered I was. I was never afraid or at least that's what I tried to think.

In reality, I was the most introverted person you could probably ever meet. It wasn't that I didn't like people, I just found that people never really liked me; too many negative relationships had ruined any chances I had at a legitimate social life. It was just easier for me to be on my own. Sure I had "friends" at school but it wasn't like I was best buddies with them. My preferred Friday night either consisted of me in bed watching Netflix, anime preferably, restarting One Tree Hill for the millionth time, or if I was lucky, catching the most recent Leafs game. On the outside though, I was a "cool" girl, I hung out with the right crowd, I didn't bother anyone and I kept mostly to myself.

I had started at Western University almost two years ago. I was entering my third year in Educational studies, yes I know, the introvert wanted to be a teacher. I honestly couldn't tell you why but that's what I had always wanted. A small part of me wanted to be there for the kids who were either being picked on or who just didn't have any friends. I wanted to make their lives just a little bit easier. I was also entering my third year on the women's varsity hockey team, The Western Mustangs. I played right defense and wore number twenty-four. I had the best point shot on the team and I definitely wasn't afraid to admit that. I loved my slap shot taking abilities. I led all rookies in scoring in my first year- as a defence man which was basically unheard of, and had continued my streak into second year, leading the OUA in defensive scoring and overall points. God I loved hockey.

At Western I had one really good friend though, Stephanie, or Steph. We lived in the same dorm in first year and had moved into our own house in second year with four other girls, I know sounds crowded right? Steph was the complete opposite to me; she was outgoing, absolutely drop dead gorgeous - and she knew it too. Steph was the party girl. Our house was party central in London, meaning we attracted plenty of people not just from Western. The resident OHL team, the London Knights, well lets just say they were party regulars when they were in town. Steph had even gotten with one of their star players, Mitch Marner. They'd been together over a year now and they were super cute. It was almost sickening to be around them because they were so sweet to one another.

I'd become pretty good friends with Mitch too, or Mitchell as I called him, just to get on his nerves. I'd also gotten to know a few of the other players from them being around the house or by going with Steph to Budweiser Gardens to watch them play. It was kind of cool but nothing romantic had come from it. A few dates but nothing solid. I'd been asked several times if I'd wanted to hook up with a few different guys but that just wasn't my cup of tea. That was okay though, boys meant trouble, and when you were trying to concentrate on earning a degree, trouble was the last thing you needed.

Alas trouble was exactly what I'd just decided to walk into. Remember how I just said I'd become pretty good friends with Mitch, well that meant I was invited out to a players meet and greet gala with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Yes, those Toronto Maple Leafs. My buddy Mitchell just of course happened to be drafted by my home town team and according to Steph I would be stupid to turn this night down.

"Maybe you'll meet someone 'Lyss," She had stated.

But that wasn't exactly what I was nervous about. I was nervous over a particular American player who wore number thirty-four. Let's just say I'd met him the night before and ever since, we couldn't stop getting into awkward situations with one another. And apparently, I had made quite the impression. Insert Marner's obnoxious laugh here.

<The Night Before>

"Steph do we seriously have to go? I mean aren't you just gonna end up back at Mitch's place? What's the point of me coming?" I asked, rolling my eyes at my roommate's proposition.