Chapter 2 // The Elevator Excursion

"We're trapped in an elevator aren't we?" I questioned, as the dread started to sink in.

Auston sighed and hit the wall in frustration.

"We're trapped in an elevator,"

I took a deep breath. This wasn't happening. It slowly started to feel like the walls around me were closing in. My heart rate spiked drastically and I immediately gained a headache. I was about to have a panic attack.

Auston sighed and slowly slid down the wall, taking a seat onto the tiled floor.

"What are you doing?" I asked, feeling panicked.

"Relax," Auston drawled out. "Zach is coming back with some of the guys, we're going to be fine."

I pursed my lips. He was right but I wasn't quite sure the guys would clue in to where we might have been.

"Not trying to doubt your teammates or anything Auston, but do you really think that they're going to figure out that we're trapped in the elevator?"

"Well they're going to try and use it right? There's no way the guys are going to climb thirty-two flights of stairs, especially when half of them are drunk." Auston replied.

I shot him a look, and his eyes widened upon realizing what he just said.

"You just jinxed us Matthews," I claimed.

"I know," He groaned out, as he banged his head back twice against the wall.

"We're never going to get out of here," I sighed, sinking down to the floor across from the other boy. I suddenly started to feel my shoulders shake and I felt tears forming in my eyes.

"Don't be silly. Worst comes to worst we're in here til' morning," Auston replied.

I shook my head. NO this was NOT happening.

"Are you crying?" Auston questioned.

I shook my head and placed my face into my hands.

"Alyssa,"

I kept shaking my head. I couldn't control what was happening. I was imagining any and all worse case scenarios and I couldn't stop the tears. I was scared. I was terrified of being trapped.

"Hey, Alyssa, it's fine, I'm here, we're going to be fine," Auston tried to reassure me.

"How do you know?" I questioned, looking up at him. His face immediately turned sad once he realized how much I was crying. He slowly stood up and made is way towards me.

"Because this happens all the time. People get stuck in elevators all the time and nothing bad happens. I promise nothing is going to happen to you."

"How can you promise that?" I asked.

He sighed and dropped down to his knees, and pulled me into his chest, wrapping his arms around me in a protective hug. My eyes widened at the contact. I was not expecting this.

"Because I will make sure nothing happens to you."

He pulled back a bit and looked me in the eyes, "You just need to calm down and take a few breaths, like I said, worst comes to worst we're in here until morning okay."

"What could be worse than being trapped in an elevator? We're basically in a hanging death trap if this thing falls." I claimed.

He smirked, "I could be Mitch."

I rolled my eyes, pulling away from his embrace, "Yeah no thanks,"

He chuckled, "I know you both secretly love each other."