Chapter 18// The Night Everything Changed

"Did you want to go back in?" Steph questioned me, rubbing my back a bit more

I sighed. I knew we needed to. I didn't want everyone thinking I was crazy, although part of me knew they'd understand. But it was cold and Steph was obviously getting uncomfortable.

I'd been able to hash out my entire conversation with my Mom and Anthony with her, and she was surprised he'd offered me the house. But she agreed with me, there was no doubt he was buying me in order to keep me quiet. Another reason I'd wanted to tell her everything was so that she could inform anyone else who wanted to know what had happened, because I honestly wasn't sure I could keep explaining this over and over again.

As we were about to stand up, a small knocking sound went off before my front door squeaked open. It was Kelsey, "did you guys want to join us for dessert?"

Placing her hand onto my shoulder in support, Steph sent me a smile and nodded her head towards Kelsey. Kelsey looked at me questionably and I just sent her a small smile before standing up with Steph.

Holding my flowers in one hand, and helping Steph carry her bags in with the other, we walked back into my home. I was relieved when I wasn't bombarded with questions from everyone. I guess they didn't want me to feel awkward or overwhelmed.

"Hey,"

I smiled as Mitch walked up to Steph and I. Pulling me into a tight hug, I squeezed him back tightly. I was so glad he'd showed up today. I was glad they both had.

Rather than being awkward like I think both Steph and I thought they'd be, I was pleasantly surprised when Mitch hugged her tight as well, and pressed his lips against the crown of her head.

Leaving them to talk, I walked towards the dining room and turned the corner to enter the kitchen. Walking into my now spotless kitchen, which I was extremely thankful about considering I was dreading the clean up process, I smiled once I saw Auston standing there, helping Alannah and Zach set up all the desserts the couple had brought.

Placing my daisies onto the counter and opening my china cupboard to grab another vase, I smiled when a hand gripped itself onto my hip and an arm reached up to grab the glass object that was slightly out of my reach. Placing it down onto the counter top I felt Auston's lips press down onto my shoulder, before moving over and kissing the spot where my neck and shoulder met. I closed my eyes and took a shaky breath. He hadn't kissed me like this since we'd showered together and my mind became flooded with images from that night.

Spinning me around and holding me tight, Auston wrapped his arms around me protectively and continued to place small kisses onto the top of my head. "I'm okay Auston," I spoke, as I gripped his shirt in my hands.

He didn't reply, but he pulled away to let me put the flowers away properly. As he leaned up against the counter beside me, I trimmed the stems and made sure to sprinkle the nutrient rich crystals into the water that had come with the bouquet before placing the flowers into the vase. Smiling at the arrangement, I placed my thumb and forefinger onto one of the white petals and felt the smooth textured plant. I could feel Auston's eyes watching me as I cleaned up after myself, making sure to put the left-over stems into my compost bin, and wiping the counter clean from the small mess I'd left behind.

"Who wants pie?!" Zach called out into the living room, breaking me from my trance.

Watching everyone file back into the dining room, I stood stagnant. I'd lost any and all appetite and my eyes were incredibly heavy from my tears.

"You coming?" Auston asked, taking my hand in his and rubbing the back of it with his thumb.

"I'm not very hungry," I said, pursing my lips.