Chapter 6 // The Rescue

Auston's POV

"I really liked her,"

I smirked, "Really Ma?"

She scoffed and playfully swatted her hands at me. We were just wrapping up at the gala and I was finally able to step away from all the reporters and journalists.

"She was just so sweet. She seemed so genuine," my mom explained, as she thought of the girl I literally couldn't take my mind off of. I hadn't been able to since I woke up this morning.

I mean I guess you could say that we bonded last night. I guess being trapped in an elevator for nearly five hours could do that. But ever since our game of '20 questions,' I needed to know more. I had to. She was just so different then all the girls I had met over the last year. Like my mom had said, she was genuine. Alyssa was Alyssa, she wasn't fake. She wasn't like all the other girls who only showed interest in me purely because of hockey. I knew underneath her tough exterior there was a sweet girl inside, and I couldn't wait to meet her.

"I invited her to come watch your first game here in Toronto. We have four tickets and you know how your sisters can't come unfortunately, so I thought it would be a good idea. I hope that's okay with you," My mother explained.

I nodded with a smile, "Of course. They're your tickets, so you can do what you want with them."

"I know, I just wanted to make sure you were okay with it,"

"Oh trust me Em', he's very okay with it," I heard my dad tell her, as he handed her jacket to her. My mom giggled at his accusation. I just rolled my eyes and stifled a chuckle as I reached for my own coat.

"Ahem,"

I turned and raised an eyebrow at Emily, who I noticed had been uncharacteristically quiet.

"Yes?" I asked.

"My coat?" She clarified. I sighed, and grabbed her jacket. As I went to hand it to her, she turned and held her arms out, silently asking me to help her put it on. Not wanting to cause a stir, I complied, and helped her slip into it.

"Thank you," She said, giving me a smile. My parents saw the exchange but didn't say anything. It was painfully obvious to me that Emily still had feelings for me, but because of her closeness with my family, I really didn't know how to address it without coming off like a total asshole.

"So when does your flight leave?" I asked aloud. Emily rolled her eyes.

"8am tomorrow morning," My mother chimed, answering for her.

"We'll have to be at the airport around 6:30," My dad added.

Emily had flown in yesterday with my parents, and would also be leaving with them. I had kind of felt bad that they only came for two nights but it was only a four-hour flight. My parents were going to be coming back for the season opener in a couple weeks. They'd be around as much as they could. Emily however, like Alyssa and Steph, was going back to school, meaning the odds of seeing her during the season would be very slim considering she went to ASU. I remember Steph saying that Western, her and Alyssa's school, was only a two-hour drive away, which was much, much closer. And they were in the same country, which made all the difference in the world.

"Did you guys want to go out? We can just head back to the hotel," My mom asked.

Emily's eyes lit up at the suggestion and I inwardly groaned. I had noticed a group of the guys, along with more specifically Mitch, Steph, and Alyssa, had left about a half an hour ago. I had wanted to go meet up with them. But the thought of me bringing Emily along had me second guessing that decision. I didn't want to be a dick and she was only here for one more night so I guess the least I could do was spend it with her.