Chapter 5 // The Chase

I avoided all contact with Auston for the rest of the night. It wasn't overly difficult, because whenever I did see him, he was either crowded from people wanting to meet him or he was being hounded by his date. I honestly felt embarrassed over our little moment near the washrooms. I was also quite confused about the whole situation. I know it takes 'two to tango,' as they say, but what was Auston even up to?

First, he comforts me in the elevator, which mind you any good natured person would do in that situation, but then he lets me sleep in his bed afterwards? Second, he walks in on me stark naked, and then tries to make up for it by hanging out in the mall and then secretly buying me expensive jewelry? And now, he tries to kiss me? I definitely needed to talk to him. But knowing me, and how I was totally awful with confrontations, that wasn't going to happen.

"You feeling okay? You look really pale."

I looked up at the red head standing next to me, who I noticed had been keeping a close distance ever since the meet and greet part of the event had started. I gave Connor a reassuring smile, "Yeah I'm alright, just feeling a little exhausted."

He nodded, "Yeah I feel that. Today's been pretty busy,"

"Connor?"

We both turned at the sound of the voice to see a smaller woman, who had tan skin, and shorter black hair walking towards us.

"Mrs. Matthews, it's always nice to see you," Connor greeted politely as she pulled him in for a hug.

Mrs. Matthews huh? I was really hoping it wasn't that Mrs. Matthews.

"What did I tell you about that, just call me Ema," She smiled brightly towards him. "And who's this beautiful girl?" She asked with a smile, giving me a once over.

"Ah, Ema this is my friend, Alyssa, Alyssa this is Ema Matthews, Auston's mom,"

Of course it was.

I smiled nicely, "It's nice to meet you," I greeted.

"Are you the poor Alyssa that my son was trapped in the elevator with last night?" She asked, giving me a sympathetic look.

I grinned awkwardly, "Oh you heard about that huh?"

"Well of course! It's all over the news now actually," She replied.

I groaned inwardly. Of course it was all over the news. A hockey player getting trapped in an elevator would definitely be headline news in Toronto, that was for sure.

I giggled slightly, "Well uh, that would be me,"

She laughed, "Well I'm glad you both are alright. Auston hasn't stopped talking about you all day. He felt so bad about that."

"It wasn't his fault," I replied, shrugging my shoulders, "stuff happens,"

"And that's what I told him,"

I looked over to see, who I presumed was Auston's dad, take Ema's side.

"Oh, Brian, this is Alyssa, Auston's friend," Ema told her husband. He gave me a warm smile and held out his hand for a shake, myself returning it.

"Do you mind if I just run to the washroom? I'll be right back," Connor asked.

"Oh no problem," I replied nodding towards him.

"Don't worry, we'll keep your date company," Ema giggled as he left.

"I appreciate it!" Connor chuckled as he walked off.

"So Alyssa, are you from the area?" Brian asked me.

"Oh, I'm from Burlington, it's like a forty minute drive from here," I explained.