Chapter 12 // The Mother/Daughter Displacement

In and out.

In and out.

In and out.

My ragged breathing appeared in front of my eyes in the form of a white fog. I could feel sweat dripping down from the back of my neck and my once tight pony tail had loosened off, causing my brown hair to fall down and frame my face. Looking through my caged mask, the red four-digit clock stared me down.

00:13

Thirteen seconds until the game was finished. We were currently down three to two against Ryerson, and we had an empty net. Giving us an extra attacker, the six of us lined up in face off positions. Taking the draw on the left side of the offensive zone, I slid into the high slot just hoping for the opportunity to get a shot off. Watching the draw, I bent my knees and placed all my weight down onto my stick. Looking to my left, I locked eyes with Kelsey. She gave me a quick nod before setting herself up into position.

The referee blew his whistle, and our center-man took her stance before locking sticks with her opponent as the puck was sent to the side boards and was quickly picked up by the left winger. Taking a look, the winger back handed the puck in Kelsey's direction. Gliding down further into the slot, I took a look around me before facing my defense partner, hoping for a pass.

Kelsey's blue eyes looked towards me, before she sent me a clean, crisp pass. Skating the puck ahead with me, I watched as it slid down the blade of my stick until it reached its heel. Taking one last look, I then snapped my wrists and my stick made a loud cracking sound as it sent the puck flying towards the oppositions net. Holding my breath, I watched as my last chance attempt to score went by the goalie but ricocheted off of my old nemesis. The sound of the puck ringing off the far post rang through the arena, and the sounds of both shock and disappointed sounded from both the stands and my bench. The horn then sounded, effectively stopping play and ending the game.

Snapping my head back in defeat, I took a deep breath as Kelsey skated towards me, with a solemn look on her face. Shooting me a small smile though, she tapped me on the shoulder twice, "Almost 'Lyss,"

I groaned and swatted my stick down towards the ice in frustration. Feeling the weight of my stick suddenly weaken, my eyes widened once I realized I'd broken yet another stick. The blade off of Auston's nearly five-hundred-dollar composite had broken off the end. It must have cracked off of my last shot. I bit my lip knowing he was watching from the stands. I'd definitely be hearing about this.

Kelsey folded her lips into a firm line as she tried to hold back her laugh. Her rosy face suddenly turned red and her lips slowly turned upwards. I sighed.

After making our way into the dressing room, and hearing a not so nice lecture from Coach Keller, I quickly undressed and made my self look presentable enough before vacating the room. After saying a quick goodbye to Kelsey and some of my other team mates, I carried my bag, along with my split-in-two stick into the lobby and saw a few familiar faces.

Walking over to the small group, everyone smiled and greeted me. Auston, along with Mitch, Steph, Connor, and Will had come to see my first game. I was honestly quite relieved the group was much smaller than originally planned. I felt bad that they had watched my team lose though.

Dropping my hockey bag, I flashed Auston an awkward, tight smile as I placed what was once a full hockey stick on top of my bag. Auston shook his head, but it wasn't in disappointment, no it was worse. He was trying not to laugh.

Pulling me into his side he chuckled slightly, "Don't worry about it,"

"I feel bad though, I don't know what happened," I complained, standing back up straight.