Chapter 10 // The Birthday Party

"Well you smell like a mix of cheap cologne and bad sweaty, sex. Oh, and is that a hint of bitter jealousy I can smell too?"

"Shut it Miller," Mitch glared, as he took a swig from his beer.

Mitchell Marner was not happy.

He was drinking his sorrows away while his girlfriend was chatting up any and every guy who would give her the time of day. We were currently leaned up against the oak-stained bar people watching, or well Stephanie-watching in Mitch's case.

Despite the obvious make-up sex that had occurred, Steph and Mitch clearly weren't on the same page. She was still angry and he was still as bitter as ever. Sometimes I wondered if they were really going to last. Steph was offended too easily while Mitch was effortlessly irritable. They both held short fuses so fireworks were bound to go off, just not the usual pretty, colourful ones.

I sighed, "You know you have to fix this,"

He rolled his eyes as he took another sip from his bottle, "Why should I? It's always me who has to fix it. If she can't respect me or my wishes than what's the point?"

"You don't mean that Mitch, that's the booze talking," I pointed out, giving him a stern look.

"Then clearly I haven't had enough yet," Mitch retorted, raising two fingers at the nearby bartender, signalling for a double.

Loud music blared through the building and multiple bodies were mingling throughout the floor. Blue and orange balloons littered the hall and a full buffet was left for the taking across the back wall. Waiters were also around to cater to those who wanted to order off of Real Sports menu.

I recognized a lot of NHL players and some girls who I'd seen through Instagram and twitter throughout the years. I could see some familiar faces from the Leafs running around too. But at the moment I was unfortunately on the bad end of a Mitch Marner alcohol binder.

I rolled my eyes at my friend and his behaviour, "Mitchell you can't keep acting like this. You're going to lose her,"

"Acting like what? Acting like I care? If she wants to keep going out to party without me and likes dressing up like a slut to get attention from other guys, then why is she even with me? What's the point of being in a relationship huh?" Mitch spoke, as he stared out towards Steph, who just happened to be chatting it up with one of the players of Team North America. I believed it was Ryan Murray from the looks of it.

I pursed my lips at his words, "Does that mean I'm dressed like a slut too then?"

"What? No, I-"

I crossed my arms and gave him another look, "because if she's dressed like a slut then I must be too,"

He sighed, "Ugh don't get all emotional on me 'Lyss, I didn't mean it like that. You don't have a boyfriend, which I don't even want to get into right now, so if you want to dress up then that's your own choice. But Steph's with me, I love her, yet she tries to get attention from other's guys and I think that's wrong."

I couldn't help but understand where he was coming from. He wasn't necessarily wrong, but he wasn't going about it in the right way.

"Just talk to her. Tell her how you feel,"

"I have,"

"No, you've just acted like a jerk. And if you know Steph as well as I do, you know that being aggressive towards her just causes her to act out more. If you really want this to work then you need to try harder Mitch," I explained, trying to get through to him.

He pursed his lips, "Tell me something Alyssa, if me and Steph were to break up, would we still be friends?"

My mouth opened but no words came out. I was surprised at his sudden question but due to my silence, Mitch slammed his bottle down and gave me a glare, "Exactly Alyssa. Good to know how much our friendship means to you,"