Chapter 14// The Halloween Haunt

"What a surprise!" Ema's excited voice rang through the apartment, as she saw me once she entered the condo. Brian sent me a wave and Auston's sister gave me a small smile.

The look Auston was giving me however, was not as friendly. He looked very confused, and I could go as far and say that he looked almost suspicious as his eyes darted in-between Mitch and I. Shaking it off however, Auston walked up to me as I stood up from his couch and he pulled me into a side hug. "What are you doing here?" he asked me, in a soft tone.

"Mitch invited me, I hope that's okay," I explained, "I was going to call you but Mitch mentioned you were out with your family so I didn't want to interrupt you,"

He nodded in understanding but still didn't look overly pleased.

Our not-so-private conversation was disrupted when Ema's voice spoke up again, "This is wonderful! Why don't we all go out for dinner together then? I'd love to catch up with Alyssa, and I'm sure your sister would love to become acquainted with her too Auston,"

Auston turned his head and nodded at his mother, "Of course Ma, as long as it's okay with you," Auston said, giving me a sideways look.

I was about to nod when I noticed Mitch standing awkwardly off to the side, I didn't want to just abandon him now. I pursed my lips and reached down to squeeze Auston's hand, "Mitch is in a really bad place right now Auston, I don't want to just leave him," I whispered.

He nodded slightly at me and turned to Mitch, while he squeezed my hand back, "Marns you want to tag along? Dinner's on me," Auston claimed, turning to look towards his roommate.

Mitch hesitated, but nodded solemnly once I shot him a look. "Sure, thanks Matts,"

"No problem," He returned, before looking back towards his family, "When did you guys wants to go out?"

"Could we head out sooner rather than later? I'm starving," Brian joked, causing his wife to giggle.

"That's fine, but where do you want to go Dad?" Auston asked.

"Somewhere I can get a great big, hearty, steak," Brian replied, using his hands to emphasize his words.

Auston raised an eyebrow at his father, "Uh alright Dad,"

"Where should we go for that?" Ema asked the three of us, who were seen as experts in Toronto cuisine in comparison to the rest of Auston's family.

"Stonehouse?" Mitch questioned, giving both me Auston a questioning look.

I nodded, "That's a good steakhouse,"

"Sounds good to me," Brian said, "now let's get going,"

As everyone made their way back out of the apartment, Auston quickly caught me behind the door and closed it slightly, before bending down to give me a quick kiss. I responded happily, as I had been anticipating this moment for the past week. Kissing him back a bit more harder, as I wrapped my arms over his shoulders and stood on my tippy toes, Auston quickly pushed me up against the wall and trailed his large hands up and down my body.

I was about to pull away because his family was still waiting for us in the hallway, but Mitch interrupted us first by clearing his throat. I had forgotten he had ran back to his bedroom to grab a jacket. I flushed in embarrassment as Auston pulled away, but Auston just sent me a quick wink before he grabbed my hand again and led me out of the apartment. Mitch followed after us and locked up the place before we all headed down the hall to the elevator to go down to the lobby.

Stonehouse was only a quick five-minute walk away from the guys' apartment. During the walk, Auston and I walked in behind everyone, while Mitch led the way, as he chatted with Auston's Dad. "What's going on with Mitch?" Auston asked me suddenly, as we walked hand in hand.