A Door Into The Dark

The moment we landed, I let out a frustrating breath. Then, without warning, I ripped the arrow out of Valentine's shoulder. He grunted in pain as I tossed the arrow aside.

"It was a set up, wasn't it? You wanted us to kill that vampire." I pointed at him.

He held on to his shoulder, "I wanted Jonathan to kill her because it was the right thing to do. The world's a safer place without that thing wreaking havoc. Would you rather turn her over to the Clave to stand trial?"

"That is our job!" Jace yelled. "The Law is hard, but it is the law."

"Yet the Clave does nothing, nothing to enforce that. Downworlders multiply with a bite or a scratch, while our numbers dwindle year after year." Valentine traced his Healing rune. "If we don't do something, a den like that one is gonna be on every corner on every street in the world. This is the only way."

Jace and I shook our heads, "You're wrong." He grabbed my arm and we began walking away.

"Like I was wrong about your mother?" He got me on that one. She did to kill us. "Look, I know you even better than you know yourself."

"You you don't know jack-shit about us." I sneered.

"You saved my life. You could've Portaled me anywhere, handed me over to the Clave in Idris, but did you? No, because deep down inside, you know that I'm right." Valentine waved a hand and two of his members grabbed me.

"What are you doing?!" Jace exclaimed as I tried to get out of their hold.

"Like I told Sara, I wanted you to kill that vampire. She disobeyed me. She needs to be punish."

I scoffed, "For killing a vampire you wanted dead."

"No. I told you, your two have unbelievable strength together. I wanted to see how well you two are apart. You disobeyed me when you went with him." He looked at one of his members. "Have Mr. Destro take care of her."

Jace got furious as they started dragging me away, "You're letting him torture her again!"

With the best I could I looked back, "Jace, it's going to be ok. I'll come back after I kick that guy's ass."

》》》》

"This is getting more fun." Stark laughed as he smashed my side with his bow staff.

I grunted, "Yeah. Having the same pain-in-the-ass guy torture me is real fun."

He whacked my stomach a few more times before grabbing a metal bat. He gave me that stupid smile again as he waved it in front of me. Then he swung it across my face. I could taste the copper escape my mouth. Stark took a few more swings. On my back, arms, ribs, chest. Then, he grabbed the pale of water and threw it at me. I screamed as the burning intensified. I hope Izzy can't feel this.

"I'm getting bored." He sang.

I spat blood on the ground, "Torturing does that to someone."

He strolled over and undid my restrains. I dropped to the floor gasping for air. I heard something clank on the floor and turned to see a metal pole next to me. "Pick it up." Stark said.

I glared up at him, "Why?"

"I could see the look in your eyes. You want to take that pole and bash my head in. Very sexy by the way." He swung his a few times. "Come on, this is your chance. Show me what how a real Shadowhunter fights."

I picked up the pole as I got up, ignoring the pain. We began circling each other, "So, what were you before Valentine found you?"

"What's with the sudden interest? Trying to avoid the fight?"