Day of Atonement

He got away. Valentine got away because of Duncan. By the angel, why would Duncan do something like this? Now we got Stark and Valentine to worry about. Maybe Stark threatened Duncan. Maybe he had some kind of leverage against him. I don't know, but I'm going to kick someone's ass before the end of the day.

You know what else is just the cherry on top on the cake? The Clave send Robert to be their envoy. I haven't seen Maryse since. I am so pissed at the Clave for even sending a envoy. It's their way of saying Alec isn't doing a good job as Head of the Institute, but he is. Alec is a great leader. He was born to do this.

I grabbed a stack of books with a few maps of Idris and started looking though them. Valentine wouldn't be in New York if he knows people are looking for him. Hell, he wouldn't even be in Staten Island. The only place I think he could be at is this cabinet where he took Jace and me. If not, then we could look around it and find a clue. A journal, a weapon, something.

"I guess great minds think alike," I heard behind me. I turned to see Jace making his way over. "Did you already ask for a portal?"

I shook my head, not taking my eyes away from the map. "What's the point? They would just deny my request." I sighed before I looked at him. "You already did, didn't you?"

He made his way next to me. "Yeah."

I raised my eyebrow. "And?"

"No." He pulled the map closer to him. "I talked to Alec though and he agreed to let the three of us search Brocelind Forest."

Three? Oh. I sighed. "Jace -"

I was cut off when Clary came in. "You asked Alec to assign us to search Staten Island?" She asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, I needed people I can trust," Jace said.

Clary pointed at me. "Why can't you just take Sam?" My thoughts exactly.

"Because if we find Valentine then we find Stark, and I would feel better knowing that my sister is safe with us there." Clary and I exchanged glances before we gave him a look, calling out on his bull. He sighed. "You're the one who said finding Valentine had to be a priority."

"Yeah, but I didn't mean we had to search together." I moved the map closer to me as Clary came further in the room. "Wait this is Idris?"

I nodded. "Yeah. You really think Valentine's in Staten Island?" I asked.

"No, but I'm pretty sure the Clave has Idris covered."

"Not all of it. Valentine use to take Jace and me to this cabin in Brocelind Forest when we were kids."

"And you guys think he's hiding there?"

"Probably not, no," Jace answered. "But I bet you we find more in that cabin than we do in Staten Island."

"You need to tell someone."

I shook my head. "I said no because I know how the Clave gets. But Jace thought it was a great idea. They denied his request for a portal." I looked at him. "I thought we'd ask Magnus, but he's still at the Seelie Court with Luke."

He crossed his arms. "So what? We find another warlock? You know portalling to Idris without approval isn't exactly sanctioned under the Accords. There's not a lot of warlocks stupid enough to risk it."

I placed my hand on the map. "But I was thinking if we could find a warlock that could get us close enough to the Swiss border we could hike it. It's about 30 miles, but it's the best I could come up with."

Jace nodded in approval. "All right. I'll start making some calls. I think Marce -"

"What if we don't need a warlock?" Clary mumbled.