▪01▪

Revenge

Thud. Umpf. Thud.

"Arrrrgggg!!" The victim roared in agony. I wore an emotionless expression as I circled around the man tied down to a chair. He coughed violently sending a thick spray of crimson blood onto his lap.

"P-Pleas—"

I send my fist flying through the air, connecting with his busted face and bruise his cheekbone. My fingers snag a handful of his hair and yank his head back. He gasped, jumping back instinctively as I stared into his eyes, capturing his emotions.

His facial expression resembled that of a person who had just witnessed the dead arise from the grave and walk amongst the city, ready to feed on human flesh. His eyes glistened with emotion, arching his brow up as his body trembled under my touch. His lips quivered as if he were to let out a sob—but he never did. A beat of sweat trickled down his forehead as his mouth suddenly became agape and he drew in a breath of air, sharply.

You could barely make out his face through all the injuries he's sustained from my bare hands. Cuts and bruises trail down from his forehead down past his busted lip. He had streaks of blood oozing down his face that covered it like a mask.

Nevertheless, it was all well deserved. I couldn't bring myself to care one bit about his sustained injuries or the pain he felt from them. It's nothing compared to the pain of the child who had been shot and killed, or the family who had to sit by and watch their son pass away.

This dishonorable man sitting before me, Ailbe Bryne, has a price to pay for his past crimes and for the loss of an innocent life.

The police had him on the wanted list for racketeering, murder, hijacking and drug trafficking. He was spotted at several locations driving a container truck filled with cream white packages that were to be delivered to various cartels. The police followed his trail leading to several warehouses, dark alleys, and crowded bars—but he was never found.

One day, the police uncovered evidence that lead them to the location of Ailbe's next sighting. A warehouse. When the police arrived at the scene, they went in heavy with all force and took down Ailbe's men.

Outnumbered and wounded, Ailbe escaped the scene by hijacking a car and retreating to the nearest café which was located a few blocks away from their warehouse. He held in hostage: two families, who both have children, the manager, a waiter and me.

_____

Two Hours Earlier

It was around 10pm and I had just finished work. I parted ways from my co-workers and decided to head on over to a small café to relax.