▪03▪

New Client

At Josie's Bar

I walk into the bar wearing a smile. My eyes scan the room, searching for my friends and I spot them near the back of the room. As I walk towards them, I see Karen trying to teach Matt how to play pool and paused. Smiling, I walk over to a table and sit there waiting until Foggy shows up or until they're done.

A minute later,  Karen begins to leave Matt's side and she starts walking over to the bar as Foggy comes walking back over to Matt. I get up from my seat and walk towards them, joining their conversation.

"I leave you two alone for one minute." Foggy said smirking.

"One minute is all they need to make a move." I said, intervening.

"She wanted to teach me." Matt said defensively.

Foggy and I look at each other with a big grins plastered onto our faces.

"Hm-hmm, okay." I said going along with him.

"What?" Matt positions his cue stick and strikes 2 balls into a pocket.

"My point exactly." I said, smirking at Matt.

Matt chuckles. "Come here." He says with open arms. I walk up to him and embrace him in his warm body heat. "You okay?" He whispers.

I shake my head, yes. We stay like that for a long moment until Foggy clears his throat. "Um, what about me?" He asks with a smile.

I break from Matt's arms and give Foggy a hug. "I heard what happened. Can't believe I'm saying this but you kinda did the right thing. For the boy's sake at least." Foggy quickly adds.

I look at him and nod. "Thank you." I said sincerely.

He picks up a beer and hands it to me. "Beer?" He asks me. I smile and take it, taking a sip of it.

I peer over to Matt and see him frozen in place. "Matt?" I call out to him. He looks like he's concentrating on something. I watch him as he slowly lifts his head up and glances over to his left.

Something's wrong.

"Hey, Hazel. Foggy." Matt reaches over, pretending to grab the white cue ball. "The guy at the bar looking this way, you know him?"

Foggy and I take turns looking at the guy, one at a time, so we wouldn't cause suspicion. Then our heads turn back to Matt.

"No." He said, shaking his head. "Why? What's his deal?" Foggy inquired.

Matt takes a sip from his beer before answering. "Adrenaline's high. His heart rate's out of control." I glance over at the guy standing next to Karen, watching him intensively.